Renault F1 team expecting a big step up with new RS17
Renault became the first F1 team to reveal a 2017 car in the flesh after unveiling its new contender at an event in central London on Tuesday.
Previously Williams had released computer images and Sauber had issued photographs online.
The R.S.17 was designed by a team under chief technical officer Bob Bell, and is the first “proper” Renault of the current era, after last year’s car was built in a hurry and derived from the previous year’s Lotus. Having also produced a revised engine the team is anticipating a significant improvement in form.
It will be driven by new recruit Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer, who stays on for a second year, while Sergey Sirotkin retains his reserve driver job. Alain Prost, who has been a Renault ambassador for many years, now has a more formal role as an advisor to the team’s executive committee.
“For 2017 we are perfectly placed to take the step forward we all desire,” said managing director Cyril Abiteboul. “The R.S.17 is the result of many long working hours spent over our two integrated locations and the result is a car we can be proud of. We have a strong line-up of personnel at all levels of the team and we’re proud to see Nico and Sergey join Jolyon in 2017. We are the fastest growing F1 team and we now need to prove our performance on track. Our objective is to score points at every round.”
“The R.S.17 is the first car which Enstone and Viry have been able to plan and develop from the outset,” said Renault Sport President Jerome Stoll. “And we’re satisfied by the fruits of this interaction. It’s a beautiful car. For 2017 our performance targets are clear. We want to take a definite, tangible step forward in performance and results. Fifth position in the Constructors’ Championship is our goal.”
— Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) February 21, 2017