MotoGP: Lorenzo already aiming for 2015 championship
By his own high standards, the 2014 MotoGP season has been under-whelming for Spanish star Jorge Lorenzo.
But Lorenzo refuses to look back and has already set his mind on a winning start to the 2015 world championship.
His fierce Spanish rival Marc Marquez has easily wrapped up the 2014 title with Lorenzo, a two-time champion and sixth on the all-time race winners list, barely laying a glove on Marquez all season.
But Lorenzo is already looking past Sunday’s season-ending Valencia Grand Prix.
An end of season bonus for Lorenzo would be for the Yamaha ace to repeat his superb victory in this race last year, and possibly beat teammate Valentino Rossi to runner-up in the championship.
That would make it three wins in the season for Lorenzo – well short of the 12 wins so far of Marquez.
But it is the Qatar GP next March, the opening race of the 2015 season, that Lorenzo is already eagerly anticipating.
"I want to improve my fitness even more and arrive in Qatar in the best shape and try to fight for the win from the beginning," Lorenzo said.
Lorenzo was the first to admit he started this season over-weight and unfit. He was distracted from pre-season training, which was interrupted by surgery.
Neither Lorenzo nor anyone else had any answers to Marquez’s startling winning sequence, which stretched as high as 10-in-a-row (from Qatar to Indianapolis).
With the backing of Yamaha and recent improvements to the M1, Lorenzo is confident of making a strong start to his new two-year contract.
"If we keep the same performance of the bike or improve some areas that we can improve I think we can try to be in front from the first race in 2015," he said.
Lorenzo will target a third MotoGP world championship in 2015 to go with his two current titles from 2010 and 2012.