Montoya accepts offer to drive for Roger Penske in Indy 500
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) Juan Pablo Montoya has accepted an offer to race the Indianapolis 500 for Team Penske and will not drive full-time in IndyCar next season.
Montoya told The Associated Press on Tuesday the Penske offer was the ''best choice'' for the Colombian. He's a two-time Indy 500 winner, including the 2015 crown driving for Penske.
Penske last month hired Josef Newgarden to replace Montoya full-time in the series, insisting the decision was because the young American was available and the organization wanted him in their lineup. At the time, they revealed the Indy offer for Montoya.
Montoya told AP he'll spend time next year helping his son, Sebastian, race in Europe and doing television work for Canal F1 Latin America.