Hamilton still in good position to clinch F1 title
SAO PAULO (AP) Nico Rosberg won the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday to get within 17 points of Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in the Formula One title race.
Although the finale in Abu Dhabi in two weeks will be worth double points, Hamilton still remains with a comfortable advantage over his rival heading into the decisive race.
Here’s how he can secure his second world championship in the Nov. 23 race:
– By winning or finishing second.
– By finishing fifth or better if Rosberg doesn’t win.
– By finishing sixth or better if Rosberg is not in the top two.
– By finishing eight or better if Rosberg misses on the podium.
– By finishing ninth or better if Rosberg is fifth.
– If Rosberg is out of the top five, Hamilton will win the title even if he finishes out of the points.
Rosberg, seeking his first world title, will need some help:
– He must win and hope Hamilton is third or lower.
– Finish second and hope Hamilton is sixth or lower.
– Finish third and hope Hamilton is seventh or lower.
– Finish fourth and hope Hamilton is ninth or lower.
– Finish fifth and hope Hamilton is 10th or lower.
The change into the double-points format for the season-ending race was made this year to keep the championship undecided until the end and increase public interest in the series.
”I find it artificial and I don’t like it in general,” Rosberg said. ”Of course, now, with the way it is, it’s great for me, but that’s just because of the situation (we are in).”
Without the double points, Hamilton would need only a sixth-place finish to secure the trophy if Rosberg won in Abu Dhabi. They would tie in points but Hamilton would win because he has more victories, 11 against five of his rival.
Follow Tales Azzoni at http://twitter.com/tazzoni