Van der Garde sees his future outside F1

Giedo van der Garde was involved in a legal dispute with the Sauber F1 Team earlier this year, which he won, but agreed not to drive the car in return for a large cash sum.

MAL FAIRCLOUGH/AFP/Getty Images

Giedo van der Garde says he’s looking at a future in the WEC or DTM after accepting that he has little chance of ever getting back to F1 after his legal fight with Sauber in March.

The Dutchman was at the Spa 6 Hours on Saturday – where he chatted with old pal Nico Hulkenberg – before heading to Hockenheim for Sunday’s DTM event.

“You never ever know what’s happening in F1 but at the moment my targets are DTM or WEC for next year,” said van der Garde. “For this year it’s already tough to jump in somewhere, because we were very late with everything. So I’m looking around a bit.”

Regarding F1 he said: “Of course you never give up, you always keep a little bit of hope, but after what happened to you, you are a little bit fed up with everything, in the beginning especially. But the more you think about it, the more it gives you a bit of a relief.  Of course it’s always what you wanted, and there’s still a little bit in me that says ‘maybe.’ We’ll see.”

Van der Garde said he’d had a generally positive reaction to the outcome of his action against Sauber, and the statement he made after it about contracts and the rights of drivers.

“I got very positive feedback, from teams, team bosses and drivers even. So I’m quite happy with that. Now it’s a bit more calm and relaxed and I’m looking to get a nice drive for next year.”

Van der Garde’s only scheduled race thus far in 2015 is at the Goodwood Revival.