F1: Alonso back in the cockpit for Malaysia, says McLaren
McLaren has confirmed that Fernando Alonso will return to the cockpit in Malaysia – with the driver subject to a final medical check at Sepang on Thursday.
However, the team clearly believes that will now be a formality and that – after missing Australia – the Spaniard will be able to start his season next weekend.
The team still doesn’t have any more answers about the accident.
In a statement it said: “Since his Barcelona testing accident, Fernando has followed a rigorous, specialized training program, designed and closely monitored by leading sports scientists, to ensure his safe and timely return to racing.
“At the McLaren Technology Centre last week, Fernando met with his engineers and drove the simulator, to bring him up to date with the latest developments on the MP4-30 chassis and power unit. As part of that process he spent time with senior engineers, discussing the accident and reviewing the comprehensive data and analysis, all of which has been shared with the FIA.
“While there was nothing evident in the extensive car telemetry data, nor anything abnormal in the subsequent reconstructions and laboratory tests, Fernando recalls a sense of ‘heavy’ steering prior to the accident. Consequently, the team has fitted an additional sensor to the car, to increase our data capture.”