White Sox: Rick Hahn Proved He Could Execute Rebuilding Process
White Sox turn around farm system in span of two days with great trades of star players for top prospects. South Siders can still improve team, farm system with more trades.
The Chicago White Sox entered the Winter Meetings with All-Star pitcher Chris Sale and Adam Eaton part of the team. Before the conclusion of the Winter Meetings, both players were traded and brought back some phenomenal returns.
- 12/9 – White Sox: Rick Hahn Proved He Could Execute Rebuilding Process
- 12/8 – White Sox: Did Analytics Help Bring Back Monster Return for Eaton?
- 12/7 – White Sox Trade Adam Eaton to Washington Nationals
- 12/7 – Rumor: Nationals Showing Interest in Jose Quintana
- 12/6 – White Sox Improve Farm System With Trade of Chris Sale
Sale was traded on Tuesday to the Boston Red Sox in exchange for the top prospect in MLB according to mlbpipeline.com in Yoan Moncada and three other minor league players. Those other players included the 30th overall prospect Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe and Victor Diaz. This was an incredible haul for the five-time All-Star pitcher. However, White Sox general manager Rick Hahn wasn’t done adding prospects to the team’s farm system.
On Wednesday, Hahn made perhaps his best trade since trading for Eaton back in 2013 when he shipped the outfielder to the Washington Nationals in exchange for three prospects. Those prospects included the the third ranked prospect in Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez (38th ranked prospect) and Dane Dunning. This could be viewed as a lopsided traded, but it was a very solid trade for the White Sox.
With both trades, Hahn proved he could effectively begin the rebuilding process for the White Sox. The White Sox farm system went from the bottom half of MLB to the top 10 with just two trades. This is how a rebuild should start. The White Sox had been stuck in mediocrity for far too long because of the franchise’s refusal to rebuild.
Hahn however was able to take full reigns of a rebuild, and executed it tremendously. It will take some time for the White Sox to see results from each trade, but they finally have a clear path to success in the future. This offseason was very crucial for the White Sox, as they ultimately had to rebuild. After finishing four consecutive seasons with losing records, something had to change. No longer would the team rely on short term solutions in the hopes it would lead to success.
The White Sox decision to rebuild has invigorated a fanbase that was tired of the failed attempts at success of the past. With a revamped farm system, many fans are okay with another losing season in 2017. The White Sox finally have a bright future ahead of them, and it wouldn’t be possible without the efforts of Hahn.
More from Southside Showdown
- White Sox: Did Analytics Help Bring Back Monster Return for Eaton?1 d ago
- White Sox Trade Adam Eaton to Washington Nationals1 d ago
- Rumor: Nationals Showing Interest in Jose Quintana2d ago
- White Sox Improve Farm System With Trade of Chris Sale2d ago
- White Sox Trade Chris Sale to Boston Red Sox2d ago