White Sox: Davidson’s Improved Swing Could Mean Big Numbers
White Sox prospect Matt Davidson has spent a lot of time improving his swing. Hopefully this leads to increased power numbers for the 25 year old.
The Chicago White Sox acquired Matt Davidson in their trade of Addison Reed during the 2013 offseason. Heralded as the potential third baseman of the future, the talented righty was a top 100 prospect. Now, he’s most likely not even top 30 in the organization. Davidson hit a lot of road blocks, including injuries.
- 2/1 – Will Jose Quintana Break Camp with the White Sox?
- 1/31 – Could White Sox Trade David Robertson to Toronto Blue Jays?
- 1/31 – White Sox: Does Jerry Reinsdorf Deserve Credit For Rebuild?
- 1/31 – White Sox: Hahn Doesn’t Expect to Contend in 2017
- 1/30 – White Sox: Can Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada Form Dynamic Infield Duo?
He recently sat down with Scott Merkin of whitesox.com to talk about his progress. He missed most of last season with a broken foot but has used the time to make a tweak to his swing. If all goes well, he could be hitting for more power. That could be a good thing. This team severely lacks power in its lineup. He also fits into their rebuild mode, he turns 26 in March. So it’s not crazy to think he can be the future third baseman.
It’s not easy to make adjustments to your swing. The swing is all about consistency and mechanics. Merkin writes he’s made great progress and that should be encouraging to White Sox fans. After all, I don’t see Todd Frazier being around for the long term. I think Rick Hahn and company will look to unload him this season, probably at the deadline. As long as he has a good season they will get some good value back.
If Davidson can return to his former glory and be the prospect he once was, this team gets another huge upgrade. Davidson could slide into third base once Frazier is traded. Hopefully he can produce just as well. If not, then sadly it may be time to move on from him. But he needs a chance because he’s never been given one before.
Want your voice heard? Join the Southside Showdown team!
More from Southside Showdown
- Will Jose Quintana Break Camp with the White Sox?21h ago
- Could White Sox Trade David Robertson to Toronto Blue Jays?1 d ago
- White Sox: Does Jerry Reinsdorf Deserve Credit For Rebuild?1 d ago
- White Sox: Hahn Doesn’t Expect to Contend in 20172d ago
- White Sox: Can Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada Form Dynamic Infield Duo?2d ago