St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Cards Have Reportedly Discussed Ian Desmond
Reports this morning indicate that the St. Louis Cardinals have discussed outfielder Ian Desmond as a possible free agent target.
The hot stove is heating up and the St. Louis Cardinals have been a name that has bubbled up frequently over the last 24 hours.
The latest buzz has the Cardinals connected with free agent outfielder/infielder Ian Desmond. This is some interesting news. Now, let me be the first to point out that this doesn’t have a whole lot of steam, yet…
According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Cardinals have had “internal discussions” about pursuing Desmond.
The #Stlcards have had internal discussions about possible pursuit of free agent outfielder Ian Desmond
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 6, 2016
Internal discussions simply mean that Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has discussed the possibility of Desmond with his staff. This doesn’t necessarily mean (that we know as of right now) that Mozeliak has actually pursued Desmond’s agent and begun any kind of talks. But it is still worth mentioning.
Our very own Zach Gifford wrote just last week about why the Cardinals should avoid pursuing Desmond this offseason, and he makes some great points. That said, I am actually intrigued by the idea, but only if the Cardinals could get Desmond on a two or three year deal.
Here’s why… Desmond brings a lot to the table offensively. He has proven to be a 20-plus homer and 20-plus stolen base guy while hitting around .270 throughout his career. Those numbers would look great in the Cardinals lineup.
- 12/6 – St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Cards Have Reportedly Discussed Ian Desmond
- 12/6 – St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Cards Should Accept Trade For Lorenzo Cain and Wade Davis
- 12/5 – St. Louis Cardinals: Carson Kelly and Harrison Bader Named to AFL Top Prospects Team
- 12/5 – St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Making a Case for Ben Revere
- 12/5 – St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Possible Deals For Lorenzo Cain And Adam Eaton
Desmond had a rough couple years in 2014 and 2015 with his batting average, but he bounced back last season with the Rangers (albeit struggling in the second half). Still, Desmond just recently turned 31 in September and on a 2-or-3-year deal he could be a nice bridge to the St. Louis Cardinals center field prospect Harrison Bader.
If Desmond were signed by the Cardinals he would most likely play left field with Randal Grichuk staying put in center field for 2017. Jhonny Peralta is a free agent come 2018 though, which could then give the Cardinals the option (if Bader seems ready) to move Desmond to third base for the rest of his contract, move Grichuk to left field and plug Bader into center field.
Want your voice heard? Join the Redbird Rants team!
Again, this is all talk and speculation now. But if Desmond is actually pursued by Mozeliak, it could make a great deal of sense for the Cardinals in the short term. What do you think? Stay tuned here at Redbird Rants for all things St. Louis Cardinals during the Winter Meetings.
More from Redbird Rants
- St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Cards Should Accept Trade For Lorenzo Cain and Wade Davis2h ago
- St. Louis Cardinals: Carson Kelly and Harrison Bader Named to AFL Top Prospects Team15h ago
- St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Making a Case for Ben Revere18h ago
- St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Possible Deals For Lorenzo Cain And Adam Eaton19h ago
- St. Louis Cardinals Rumors: Jarrod Dyson A Trade Target?1 d ago