Retired Braves star ignites blaze near home
ATLANTA (AP) Former Atlanta Braves star Chipper Jones committed an error in retirement, starting a fire when he dumped some ashes in the woods near his suburban home after cleaning out his fireplace.
Jones tweeted about the fire, which broke out Wednesday evening. It was quickly extinguished by the Roswell fire department and caused no serious damage.
Said Jones, ”Tried to do my daily chores and cleaned out the fireplace. Went and dumped the ashes. All’s good right? Nope. Set the woods on fire! Ugh.” He thanked firefighters for responding quickly to put out the blaze.
Jones played with the Braves for 19 seasons, hitting 468 homers and winning the MVP award in 1999. He retired in 2012.