Phillies Rumors: Team Close To Signing Veteran RHP Joaquin Benoit
The Phillies are not waiting at the winter meetings as the club is reportedly close to signing veteran reliever Joaquin Benoit.
Rumor has it, the Phillies are not waiting around this offseason. The club is reportedly continuing its efforts for more quality veterans, as they’re apparently close to signing veteran right hander Joaquin Benoit.
More from That Balls Outta Here
- Phillies Former Pitcher Vance “Vanimal” Worley Non-Tendered1 d ago
- Phillies Rumors: Team Tenders Contracts To Three Players1 d ago
- Phillies Should Consider Bringing Back Jeff Manship1 d ago
- Phillies Facing Three Arbitration Decisions Friday as Deadline Nears2d ago
- Phillies Claim David Rollins, Designate Cody Asche for Assignment2d ago
Benoit, 39, has been around awhile. He’d instantly be the Phillies oldest player, but he’d be bringing a 2.40 ERA, 10.0 K/9, 0.977 WHIP in 427 innings since 2010 with him.
So yes, he’s a good pitcher. And yes, the Phillies bullpen just got better on paper. It’s safe to assume he’ll be taking David Hernandez’s spot from 2016, but a corresponding move would be required since Hernandez is a free agent, and the Phils 40-man roster is full.
Details of the deal (or a conformation of it) have not been released. But it’s safe to assume it’ll be a one-year pact, due to Benoit’s first half struggles (5.18 ERA with SEA, 0.38 ERA with TOR after mid-season trade) maybe for around $4-$6 million if I had a guess.
Benoit also has his fair share of postseason experience. Posting a 2.82 ERA in 20 career playoff games.
- Philadelphia Phillies: Winter Meetings Primer Section 215
- New York Yankees Sign Matt Holliday To One-Year Deal Empire Writes Back
- Matt Holliday Signs One-Year Deal with New York Yankees Arch Authority
- New York Yankees sign Matt Holliday to one-year deal FanSided
- Yankees Rumors: Formal Offer Never Extended To Carlos Beltran Empire Writes Back
- Carlos Beltran agrees to one-year deal with Houston Astros FanSided
As mentioned, a corresponding move would be required for Benoit. So, are the Phils adding? Or is the club preparing for a departure?
This is just speculation, but the club has been rumored to deal a reliever (one of Ramos, Neris, or Gomez). However, removing LHP David Rollins (recently claimed from TEX), or another cut-bait option (L. Garcia, Morgan, Klein, etc) could be the easier solution.
As stands, the Phils bullpen is looking quite improved. If the Benoit deal happens, you’re looking at a pen of Hector Neris, Edubray Ramos, Jeanmar Gomez, Joaquin Benoit, Pat Neshek, and at the moment Joely Rodriguez.
However, the Ken Giles trade of last year proved Matt Klentaks willingness to deal quality relievers.
This is definitely a situation to keep an eye on, and we’ll have all the details here at TBOH as they continue to come in.