Wright’s stress fracture not healed yet
As if the Mets needed anything else to go wrong, their season got even worse Saturday after learning that David Wright was a long way from returning to the field.
The third baseman was told he will not be able to resume any baseball activity for at least three more weeks after seeing spine specialist Dr. Patrick O’Leary, of the Hospital for Special Surgery, on Friday.
"It’s obviously bad news," Wright said after a 6-3 loss to the Braves at Citi Field.
Despite not getting an X-ray and being asymptomatic, the doctor told Wright that the fracture had not started to heal until after he was shelved with the injury.
The Mets previously hoped that Wright had begun healing immediately after suffering the injury on April 19 against Houston when he tried to tag Carlos Lee at third base, but doctors determined that did not happen until he stopped playing.
Wright, who has been on the disabled list since May 16, was not expected to be able to do anything until late June, at the earliest.
"I was a little surprised by the result," general manager Sandy Alderson said. "I had hoped if David had been asymptomatic he would be cleared for baseball activity, but the doctor felt — and rightly so — that this is something that needs time to heal and typical time frame for that is around six weeks."