Mets: Looking back at the team’s largest contracts
Tuesday afternoon, the New York Mets signed OF Yoenis Cespedes — this time to a four year, $110 million contract.
That puts this contract as not only one of the largest in Mets franchise history, but one of the largest all-time to a position player. When it comes to the average annual salary, Cespedes will be banking $27.5 million. That’s the same AAV as Alex Rodriguez’s monster contract.
How do some of the Mets’ previous “Blockbuster” contracts compare to this one? Do the Mets finally like spending money? Let’s find out.
Let’s first look at contracts worth at least $100 million in overall value. Cespedes is now the fourth Met ever to receive such a contract, with David Wright, Carlos Beltran, and Johan Santana all ahead of him. All of these contracts have been signed within the last dozen years.
1. David Wright: Eight years, $138 million. 2013-2020
This is Wright’s current extension that goes until the end of the 2020 season. By AAV, Wright’s $17.25 million is the fifth-largest ever for a third baseman. Wright’s contract is still the largest overall contract in team history.
2. Johan Santana: Six years, $137.5 million. 2008-2013
Nine seasons ago, the Mets traded for Santana and immediately signed him to what was then the largest in team history. Santana’s AAV was just shy of $23 million. Until Cespedes came along, his AAV was the highest in Mets history.
3. Carlos Beltran: Seven years, $119 million. 2005-2011.
In 2005, the Mets signed Beltran to their first ever $100 million contract. At the time of the signing, only six other players had contracts worth more than Beltran’s $119 million, three of whom played for the Yankees. His $17 million AAV was also among the top for Outfielders during that time.
For the most part, these contracts have done fairly well, aside for the injuries, and hopefully Cespedes’ contract which now sits at #4 can provide the Amazin’s with the power that they need.
More from Rising Apple
- Mets Rumors: Curtis Granderson could be traded instead of Jay Bruce1 h ago
- Mets should swap Jay Bruce for White Sox Closer David Robertson17h ago
- Mets Twitter reacts to Yoenis Cespedes’ reported return18h ago
- Mets fans receive early gift as Yoenis Cespedes returns21h ago
- Mets say Matt Harvey’s recovery is on schedule1 d ago