Giants 11, Diamondbacks 1

This was no `B’ game.

The Diamondbacks’ grounds crew used a combination of cotton

candy and lemonade to help disperse a swarm of bees that delayed

the San Francisco Giants split squad’s 11-1 win over Arizona for 41

minutes in the second inning Sunday.

With runners on second and third and one out in the second

inning, a dark cloud appeared in right field, sending Diamondbacks

center fielder Chris Young sprinting toward left.

”I didn’t see them at first I just heard them,” Young said.

”I am not afraid of one or two of them. I wouldn’t flinch at that.

When you start talking about 500, 600 of them yea, I am afraid of

that. I would be afraid of anything of that many. If there were

that many mosquitoes, I would be afraid of that.”

The bees moved toward the right field line then down to the

Giants dugout behind first base. Two sections of fans near the

dugout were evacuated and the bees settled in a camera well

adjacent to the dugout.

With the bees buzzing, Young and right fielder Adam Eaton signed

autographs and mingled with fans near the center field fence.

Giants center fielder Angel Pagan was prepared if the bees reached

the dugout.

”I was right next to the bathroom in case I had to lock myself

in,” Pagan said.

The grounds crew came up with a sweet solution.

They smeared a combination of concession-stand lemonade and

cotton candy on two utility carts and lured many of the bees away

from fans and players. Some of the bees, however, found a perch on

a television camera.

Only one person reported being stung, a Salt River Fields


Diamondback ace Ian Kennedy was on the mound when the bees

showed up and didn’t return after the 41-minute delay. Kennedy

threw 29 pitches, allowing one run and three hits.

”I was almost done. I was ready to go back out there but it was

way too long to go back in,” Kennedy said. ”I threw a lot of

fastballs, one or two breaking balls to get my command but for the

most par a lot of fastballs.”

Giants starter, non-roster invitee Brian Burres, was also pulled

after the delay. He allowed one hit in one inning.

Once the game resumed Hector Sanchez smacked the first pitch

from Diamondbacks reliever Barry Enright for an RBI single to give

the Giants a 1-0 lead. San Francisco blew the game open in the

fourth inning when the first four batters all singled and


Ryan Theriot, Sanchez and Brett Pill each had three hits for San

Francisco in a 21-hit barrage. Sanchez also had three RBIs and Pill


”I thought we swung the bats well yesterday, and today the two

guys at the top of the order, (Pagan and Melkey Cabrera) showed us

we are a little more athletic,” Giants Manager Bruce Bochy said.

”Really though out the lineup guys swung the bat well today. All

of them did. It was a very nice ballgame.”

NOTES: This is the second day in a row the Giants were involved

in a strange incident. Saturday, at the Giants facility the club

had to evacuate because of a gas leak. ”Let’s see, yesterday gas,

today bees,” Bochy said. ”What’s next? Tomorrow night is a night

game, so bats?” … A crowd of 12,568 attended the game setting a

new Salt River Field record. . Giants reliever Dan Runzler will

miss three to four weeks with a strained lat muscle in his right

shoulder. An MRI showed no structural damage. However, the

26-year-old will travel to Florida and meet with Dr. James Andrews

Monday for a second opinion. … The Diamondbacks are still being

cautious with reliever J.J. Putz. The veteran closer, who is not

expected to see game action until Friday, threw an extended bullpen

session Saturday, about 40 pitches. He will participate in another

bullpen session before he plays. . Diamondbacks infielder Ryan Ryal

will take a few days off to rest his ailing right groin. Ryal was

taken out of Saturday’s game against the Giants in the fourth

inning. Ryal had an RBI double in two at-bats before leaving the