Detroit Tigers Rumors: Mets Have Interest in J.D. Martinez
Detroit Tigers rumors season is here as the offseason continues to get underway. According to the latest report, outfielder J.D. Martinez is of interest to the New York Mets.
Detroit Tigers rumors are already swirling with the Winter Meetings on the horizon. Per the latest from veteran insider Jon Heyman, the New York Mets are reportedly interested in Tigers slugger J.D. Martinez.
In an article published on FanRag Sports, the insider writes that Martinez could be an option for the Mets should Yoenis Cespedes sign elsewhere. Heyman wrote, “sources say the team has some interest in Tigers outfielder J.D. Martinez as a fall-back option.”
The interest from the Mets certainly makes sense with Cespedes on the free agent market. New York could need a new bat to anchor the team’s lineup.
From a Tigers perspective, moving Martinez certainly makes sense. The outfielder is perhaps the club’s best trade chip, and could bring in a premium return.
In 120 games last season, the left fielder logged a 142 wRC+ and a .228 ISO.
The former Houston player also added a .373 on-base percentage, a 1.9 WAR, 69 runs scored, 68 RBI, 22 home runs and a .307 batting average.
- 11/29 – Detroit Tigers Rumors: Mets Have Interest in J.D. Martinez
- 11/28 – Detroit Tigers: Why the Hot Stove Season is Cold Right Now
- 11/28 – Detroit Tigers: Assessing Team’s Center Field Options
- 11/28 – Detroit Tigers: Pros and Cons of Trading Victor Martinez
- 11/26 – Detroit Tigers Rumor: Teams are Looking at Victor Martinez
Moving Martinez will also help in Detroit’s quest to make the team more financially sustainable moving forward. According to Spotrac, the 29-year-old is scheduled to make $11.75 million in 2017 before hitting the free agent market.
Thanks to some excellent seasons in Detroit, Martinez will likely bring back an excellent return in any potential trade.
With Maybin already gone, Detroit’s outfield will have a different look next season. Should Martinez be dealt, the Tigers will be faced with replacing two thirds of the team’s previous outfield unit.
Over the long haul, Christin Stewart and Michael Gerber are two names to watch. The outfielders rank among Detroit’s best prospects, and both reached Double-A Erie last season.
There is a chance that one or both could make their Major League debuts next season depending on the duo’s production and the team’s needs.
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers: Why the Hot Stove Season is Cold Right Now13h ago
- Detroit Tigers: Assessing Team’s Center Field Options19h ago
- Detroit Tigers: Pros and Cons of Trading Victor Martinez1 d ago
- Detroit Tigers Rumor: Teams are Looking at Victor Martinez2d ago
- Detroit Tigers: Alex Avila is on his Father’s Radar4d ago