Chicago Cubs News: Jeimer trade bait?; Cubs land Butler from Rox
The Chicago Cubs made another trade yesterday, landing a former top pitching prospect. A trade that added to their bullpen just weeks before pitchers and catchers report to Mesa.
And when looking back at other trades in Chicago Cubs history, you can’t help but bring up Gleyber Torres and Billy McKinney. Two top prospects who were shipped to New York in exchange for southpaw Aroldis Chapman.
A move that included two minor league diamonds. Men who are itching to get a taste of big league action. Instead of doing so under the Chicago Cubs, it’ll happen in the American League East. If they’re still Yankees.
Who am I kidding? There is no way that front office decides to trade either away after practically stealing them in the first place.
- 2/1 – Chicago Cubs trade for former top pitching prospect, Eddie Butler
- 2/1 – Chicago Cubs’ prospect Candelario might just be trade bait
- 1/31 – Chicago Cubs: Will Tommy La Stella be on the Opening Day roster?
- 1/31 – Chicago Cubs: Remembering Mr. Cub Ernie Banks on his birthday
- 1/31 – Chicago Cubs: Here’s a great reason to visit Sloan Park next month
When looking at Chicago’s top prospects, names such as Eloy Jimenez comes to mind. Is that another potential trade chip in the near future? I wouldn’t think so. Take a look at the depth chart and point out which positions are in lock.
In right field, you have Jason Heyward leading the way with Kyle Schwarber taking over in left field. Meanwhile, the entire infield is locked up, leaving center field as the question mark when it comes to field positions.
Enter Jeimer Candelario. His name could possibly come up in future trade talks — if the Cubs decide to make another big move. He can swap between first and third, two positions taken by Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo.
There is no way this organization is going to part with their two heavy hitters. So, does that mean he may end up becoming the odd-man out? Maybe.
Hopefully, Butler will be able to contribute this year and help the Cubs make another serious run late in the season. Only time will tell.
Here are stories you may have missed:
‘Cubs acquire former top pitching prospect, Butler‘ — Cubbies Crib
‘Candelario might just wind up being trade bait for the Cubs‘ — Cubbies Crib
‘Cubs: Will La Stella make the Opening Day roster?‘ — Cubbies Crib
‘Remember Mr. Cub on his 86th birthday‘ — Cubbies Crib
‘A great reason to visit Sloan Park‘ — Cubbies Crib
More from Cubbies Crib
- Chicago Cubs trade for former top pitching prospect, Eddie Butler8h ago
- Chicago Cubs’ prospect Candelario might just be trade bait11h ago
- Chicago Cubs: Will Tommy La Stella be on the Opening Day roster?1 d ago
- Chicago Cubs: Remembering Mr. Cub Ernie Banks on his birthday1 d ago
- Chicago Cubs: Here’s a great reason to visit Sloan Park next month1 d ago