Boston Red Sox: Mookie Betts undergoes right knee surgery
The Boston Red Sox announced that superstar outfielder Mookie Betts underwent successful right knee surgery Friday morning.
The things that Mookie Betts can do on a baseball field are incredible enough as it is. Now imagine him doing it all with a bad knee.
The Boston Red Sox revealed that Betts underwent successful surgery on his right knee on Friday. The procedure included an arthroscopy, chondroplasty and something called a “loose body removal,” which sounds more like mobsters dumping someone in the river than anything you want happening to your star outfielder.
The surgery was performed by Head Team Orthopedist Dr. Peter Asnis at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- 11/11 – Boston Red Sox: Mookie Betts undergoes right knee surgery
- 11/11 – Red Sox hot for reliever Greg Holland, more than Edwin Encarnacion?
- 11/10 – Boston Red Sox rumors: Dave Dombrowski not looking for a full-time DH
- 11/10 – Boston Red Sox future third baseman: Xander Bogaerts
- 11/9 – Boston Red Sox Report Cards: Matt Barnes
Betts originally hurt his knee back in July, forcing him to miss a pair of games against the Minnesota Twins. He went 0-for-5 in his first game back in the lineup, but after that his ailing knee didn’t seem to be holding him back much at all. He reached base safely at least once in all six games to wrap up the month, then followed that with his best month of the season when he hit a scorching .378 with a 1.086 OPS in August.
Betts is among the three finalists for the MVP Award and has already earned a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove this season. He finished the year hitting .318 with 31 home runs, 113 RBI and he was second in the majors with a 9.6 WAR.
While there is bound to be some concern in Red Sox Nation whenever one of the team’s star players goes under the knife, the surgery appears to have been relatively routine. Betts is expected to be ready for spring training, so there’s no need to worry about his knee holding him back next season.
More from BoSox Injection
- Red Sox hot for reliever Greg Holland, more than Edwin Encarnacion?4h ago
- Boston Red Sox rumors: Dave Dombrowski not looking for a full-time DH20h ago
- Boston Red Sox future third baseman: Xander Bogaerts1 d ago
- Boston Red Sox Report Cards: Matt Barnes1 d ago
- Boston Red Sox rumors: Jose Bautista could replace David Ortiz at DH1 d ago