BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
– Eight NCAA tournament games take place, including Harvard’s attempt to reach the Sweet 16 with a win over Michigan State and Dayton’s try for another upset, this time against Syracuse.
– Previews for Sunday’s other eight men’s tournament games.
– The NCAA women’s basketball tournament gets underway, with Tennessee hosting Northwestern State, and the Lady Vols’ fellow No. 1 seed Notre Dame facing Robert Morris among the 16 games scheduled.
– SYDNEY – Opening day turned out to be a pretty g’day for the Los Angeles Dodgers and ace Clayton Kershaw, who opened the Major League Baseball season with a 3-1 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Saturday night at Sydney Cricket Ground.
– FONTANA, Calif. – Denny Hamlin is back at the track where he broke a vertebra in his back last year in a last-lap crash with Joey Logano. Both drivers downplay their rivalry in their return to Fontana, where NASCAR could have a fifth race winner of its young season.
– ORLANDO, Fla. – Masters champion Adam Scott had a seven-shot lead going into the third round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
– PHOENIX – Mirim Lee took a two-stroke lead over 16-year-old Lydia Ko into the third round of the LPGA Tour’s JTBC Founders Cup.
– KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. – Rafael Nadal faces Lleyton Hewitt in the second round at the Sony Open, while Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova play third-round matches