Baltimore Orioles: Orioles lay down groundwork at GM Meetings
With the GM Meetings ending on Wednesday, the Baltimore Orioles are optimistic going into December’s Winter Meetings
The GM Meetings aren’t necessarily where deals get done. It’s more of managers talking to agents with hopes of continuing their talks until they meet again during the Winter Meetings. Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette was encouraged with how the GM Meetings went. The meetings ended on Wednesday in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Duquette said the following to Orioles.com on Wednesday night:
“We had a couple trade conversations. We are trying to see if we match up with somebody. We’ve got a couple more scheduled later today.”
The Orioles are currently looking for corner outfield help, but it isn’t imminent by any means. Duquette added that the Orioles were interested in adding catching depth–there are a few free agents they have their eyes on–and he felt there was some groundwork done for possible trades in Arizona.
- 11/11 – Baltimore Orioles: Jones, Machado and Schoop to play in WBC
- 11/10 – Baltimore Orioles: Orioles interview Alan Mills for pitching coach position
- 11/9 – Baltimore Orioles: Chris Davis and Manny Machado fail to win Gold Glove
- 11/8 – Baltimore Orioles: Orioles extend qualifying offer to Mark Trumbo
- 11/7 – Baltimore Orioles: Bridge to revisit signing Dexter Fowler could be burned
“We are getting quite a bit of work done. It’s not early to figure out who you are compatible with and where your needs match up [with other teams]. … It’s kind of like a mosaic, all these little pieces you keep adding. It helps to make your team decisions.”
— Mark Trumbo recently declined his qualifying offer (as expected) and will now hit the open market with a qualifying offer attached to him. The Orioles hope they can retain Trumbo, but admit they have little wiggle room in the money department due to last offseasons free agent signings.
— Chris Davis had a follow-up on his hand. He and Joey Rickard are expected to be ready for Spring Training.
— Caleb Joseph appears poised to get the starting catching position if the Orioles don’t sign anyone this winter, but Duquette wouldn’t exactly put a label on it.
Want your voice heard? Join the Birds Watcher team!
“Yeah — well, I don’t really look at it that way. I just look at getting the club as much depth as we can and we can decide later.”
More from Birds Watcher
- Baltimore Orioles: Jones, Machado and Schoop to play in WBC10h ago
- Baltimore Orioles: Orioles interview Alan Mills for pitching coach position1 d ago
- Baltimore Orioles: Chris Davis and Manny Machado fail to win Gold Glove2d ago
- Baltimore Orioles: Orioles extend qualifying offer to Mark Trumbo3d ago
- Baltimore Orioles: Bridge to revisit signing Dexter Fowler could be burned4d ago