Martínez implicated in event ignoring local COVID-19 restrictions in Dominican
Video being circulated on social media shows Cardinals pitcher Carlos Martínez participating in a large motorcycle gathering in his native Dominican Republic over the weekend, an event that reportedly led to his arrest for violation of local COVID-19 pandemic protocols, but the Cardinals say they’re not aware of any arrest or charges being filed.
Héctor Gómez, a sports journalist in the Dominican Republic, tweeted a photo of a mask-less Martínez on a motorcycle with singer Denisse Michelle Tejeda, known as “La Perversa,” and a video that appears to show him in the motorcycle parade, where masks and social distancing were scarce. Gómez also reported that Martínez had been taken into custody.
— Héctor Gómez (@hgomez27) November 23, 2020
The Cardinals released a statement on the situation Monday afternoon:
“The St. Louis Cardinals were informed earlier today that Carlos Martínez had participated in a public gathering event this past weekend in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
“We are currently gathering details from this event, but it is our understanding that Carlos was not arrested nor are there any pending legal charges against him.
“Certainly, we would not condone anyone from our organization knowingly violating community laws or health regulations.”
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Martínez’s representative told him the pitcher had not been arrested or taken into custody, but that he was at the police station and could be fined. Goold also reported that the gathering resulted from the public filming of a video in which Martínez and Tejeda took part.
Spoke to Martinez's representative, and here's what he said: #stlcards pitcher is not currently and was not in custody. He may face a fine for violations. He was being part of the filming of a video, and that drew a crowd in his hometown. https://t.co/mQtuMGGu3M
— Derrick S. Goold (@dgoold) November 23, 2020
On Monday night, Martínez posted a video on Instagram in which he expressed regret for his “brief participation in the situation” in his hometown. “I have made a mistake and I fully acknowledge it,” he indicated in the Instagram post.
Martínez tested positive for COVID-19 and missed part of the 2020 season while dealing with symptoms that required hospitalization.