Mizzou suspends WR Green-Beckham indefinitely

Five months after catching a record-setting four touchdown passes against Kentucky, Dorial Green-Beckham was suspended indefinitely from the Mizzou football team.

Mark Zerof/Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

ST. LOUIS — The University of Missouri announced Monday afternoon that junior wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham had been indefinitely suspended for a "violation of team policies."

In a press release, Mizzou said the decision was made by coach Gary Pinkel in consultation with athletics director Mike Alden.

"It’s unfortunate, but it’s the right thing to do for our football program, for the athletic department, and also for Dorial," Pinkel said in the release. "We have high standards related to the expectations that come along with being a Missouri Tiger, and Dorial has not met those recently. Representing Mizzou and our fans is a privilege, and we’ll work with him during this process. 

"It’s been disappointing to have this, and other issues which have taken place lately. It’s frustrating, because we work very hard to instill responsibility and discipline in our young men so that our program represents Mizzou the right way. These actions aren’t representative of those expectations, and we are addressing these issues head-on."

No further details were given regarding the reason for the suspension, but the talented wide receiver has been arrested twice during his brief career in Columbia.

Green-Beckham was arrested in Springfield, Mo., in early January after he was a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped by police because of an expired license. The police allegedly found one pound of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in the vehicle, and Green-Beckham and two other men were arrested.

That was his second marijuana-related arrest in 15 months.

Green-Beckham and two teammates were arrested in October 2012 after they were reportedly smoking marijuana in a parking lot near Memorial Stadium. All three later pleaded guilty to second-degree trespassing, and Green-Beckham reportedly paid a $200 fine and court costs.

You can follow Nate Latsch on Twitter (@natelatsch) or email him at natelatsch@gmail.com.