Blues re-sign Elliott to three-year deal
ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis Blues have re-signed goalie Brian Elliott to a three-year contract and will not pursue a new deal with Ryan Miller.
General manager Doug Armstrong said Monday the team took a calculated risk acquiring Miller from Buffalo, hoping he could lead the franchise to its first Stanley Cup. But the Blues were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.
"Certainly, it’s not all reflected on Ryan, it’s a team game," Armstrong said. "We’ve gone this direction and we’re excited about the tandem we have."
Armstrong said the 29-year-old Elliott will compete for the starting job with Jake Allen, the team’s top goalie prospect. He said the team met with Miller at the end of the season and again last week before deciding to move on.
"Brian wanted a chance to compete for the No. 1 job," Armstrong said. "He has that now."
Very excited to announce that I have re-signed w/ the Blues for 3 years and help take this team to the next level. pic.twitter.com/GgzJ4HprdN
— Brian Elliott (@KidElls1) May 19, 2014
Not re-signing Miller also gives the Blues financial flexibility for upgrades elsewhere.
The Blues sent Buffalo goalie Jaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a 2015 first-round pick and a conditional 2016 third-round pick. The third-rounder would have been a first-round pick this year if the Blues reached the Western Conference finals or re-signed Miller to a new contract before the draft.
"We gave up quite a bit," Armstrong said. "We took a swing. It certainly was a lot to give up for 20-some odd games and six playoff games."
Elliott was 18-6-2 with four shutouts, a 1.96 goals-against average and .922 save percentage. He shared the starting job with Jaroslav Halak before the Miller deal.
In three seasons with St. Louis, Elliott has an NHL-high 16 shutouts — tied for second in franchise history.