The Latest: Rain remains a threat for Preakness at Pimlico

BALTIMORE (AP) The Latest on the 141st running of the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Race Course (all times local):

3:15 p.m.

The threatening clouds overhead let everyone know that the rain that drenched Pimlico Race Course earlier in the day would inevitably return.

And so it did, shortly before the 8th race on Preakness Day.

It rained in Baltimore overnight and well into the morning before letting up shortly before noon. Not only did that benefit those on the infield, but it allowed the condition of the track to improve from sloppy to muddy.

A Sloppy racing strip is one that is saturated with water and has standing water visible. A muddy track is wet with no standing water, because it has seeped down into the base.

Unfortunately, the weather took a turn for the worse around four hours before the scheduled post time for the Preakness.

Before American Pharoah won last year's Preakness on a sloppy track, the event hadn't been run on sloppy or muddy terrain since 1983.

Nyquist enters the Preakness with an 8-0 record. Seven of those races were on a fast track; the other was on a good track.

2:25 p.m.

Always Sunshine rallied to win the $150,000 Maryland Sprint, the first stakes race on the Preakness undercard.

The 4-year-old colt trained by Ned Allard sat third as Cinco Charlie set the pace. Always Sunshine and jockey Frankie Pennington took charge in mid-stretch, beating All Star Red by 2 1/2 lengths.

It was the second straight win-the fifth in 11 races overall-for Always Sunshine. He paid $5.80 to win.

Later on the card, Marengo Road pulled a 15-1 upset in the $100,000 James W. Murphy Stakes for 3-year-olds on a rain-soaked turf course listed as good.

The colt, trained by Michael Trombetta, was overlooked in wagering despite winning the Miracle Wood Stakes at Laurel.

Marengo Road and jockey Julian Pimentel held off a late charge from Aquaphobia, paying $33.80 to win.

1:45 p.m.

Ten years after Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro broke down at the start of the Preakness, the owners of the ill-fated colt have had another horse die on a damp, rainy Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.

In a tragic start to Preakness day, two horses died and a jockey broke his collarbone in the first four races.

Pramedya broke down around the turn in the fourth race, tumbled to the turf as jockey Daniel Centeno was thrown to the ground. Pimlico racing officials said the 4-year-old filly owned by Roy and Gretchen Jackson's Lael Stables was euthanized on the track after breaking her left front cannon bone.

In 2006, Barbaro shattered bones in his right hind leg just after the start of the Preakness, survived surgery but developed laminitis and was euthanized in January, 2007.

Pramedya was bred and owned by the Jacksons.

Centeno was driven off in ambulance. Officials said he broke his right collarbone.

1:30 p.m.

In the opening race, Homeboykris collapsed and died after his victory and having his picture taken in the winner's circle. Track officials believe the 9-year-old gelding suffered cardiovascular collapse.

The horse is being taken to New Bolton Center in Pennsylvania for an autopsy. It's the same animal hospital Barbaro was taken to after his injuries.

Homeboykris won the Champagne Stakes in 2009, and a year later finished 16th in the Kentucky Derby. He had just won his 14th race in 63 career starts.

Later Saturday, Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist takes on 10 rivals in the Preakness Stakes.

FOX Fantasy Auto Form a Racing Team, Compete for Prizes
Play Now!