Johnson to play with Papa Gretzky
It’s common for a father to shape up one of his daughter’s potential suitors over a round of golf.
That’s what will take place this week at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Two-time Pebble Beach champion Dustin Johnson is paired with Wayne Gretzky for the PGA Tour event, which runs Thursday-Sunday at Pebble Beach, Calif.
Johnson has been romantically linked with Gretzky’s daughter, Paulina, since his victory at the season-opening Hyundai Tournament of Champions last month.
Here’s a look at some of the other notable pairings at Pebble Beach:
• Former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice is paired with Jason Bohn.
• John Mallinger, who finished third at Pebble Beach in 2007 and 2008, is paired with retired tennis star Andy Roddick.
• Wisconsin native Jerry Kelly is playing with one of the Badger State’s biggest celebrities, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
• Jim Harbaugh and Jason Day both know what it’s like to be a runner-up. Day was second at the 2012 Masters and US Open. Harbaugh, the San Francisco 49ers coach, is coming off a loss at the Super Bowl.
• Jordan Spieth is making his second start as a professional this week. He’s paired with his friend from Dallas, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.
• Rod Pampling has a good pairing should he desire any financial advice. Charles Schwab is his playing partner this week.
• Erik Compton, the two-time heart transplant recipient, is one of the PGA Tour’s feel-good stories. He’s paired with a man who made a living out of making people feel good, actor and comedian Ray Romano.
• Robert Garrigus is known for hitting the long ball. He’s paired with a man who wields quite the fastball, Justin Verlander.
• Webb Simpson, the reigning US Open champion, is paired with actor Andy Garcia.
• Matt Bettencourt was a high-school baseball player who only played golf on the side until his career was ended by a shoulder injury during his senior year. He became one of Northern California’s top amateur golfers, turned pro at 27 and then became a PGA Tour winner. He can discuss hardball with his playing partner, San Francisco Giants pitcher Matt Cain.
• Ricky Barnes’ father, Bruce, played for the New England Patriots. It’s fitting then that Ricky is paired with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.
• D.A. Points and Bill Murray won this title in 2011. They’re back at it again this year.
Other notable pairings include David Lingmerth-Josh Duhamel, Camilo Villegas-Chris O’Donnell, Patrick Cantlay-Kelly Slater, J.J. Henry-Chris Berman, Aaron Baddeley-Kenny G, Jim Furyk-Darius Rucker and Tim Clark-Carson Daly.