Given the manner in which Tiger Woods described a wrist injury he suffered during the final round of the Masters on Sunday, his agent’s insistence that the golfer is no worse for wear is an encouraging sign to say the least.
Mark Steinberg, who frequently stands in as liaison between the golfer and the media, told ESPN’s Bob Harig via email that the “wrist is fine” after being asked whether X-rays were required or whether Woods consulted any doctors as a result of the injury.
Woods told Bill Macatee during his post-final round interview that “[a] bone kinda popped out, joint went out of place, but I put it back in.”
Woods said after a tie for 17th place at the Masters that he intends to take another — albeit presumably shorter — break from competitive golf to further work on rebuilding his game.
“Not going to be for a while,” he said, via the Golf Channel. “I have a little time off, and go back to the drawing board, work on it again, and refine what I’m doing.”
Woods’ normal routine would put him in the field at The Players Championship, which begins on May 7 at TPC Sawgrass. But the golfer, when asked, refused to specify at which tournament he will make his next appearance.
“I’m going to practice,” he only said. “Practice some more.”
Given his respectable performance at the Masters last week, one that arguably defied the expectations of even the most ardent of Woods supporters, the 39-year-old certainly is back on the right track after going through a horrific run of golf earlier in the year.
Woods admitted he was more than encouraged with his play at Augusta National.
“I’m pretty proud of what I’ve done,” Woods said. “To make my short game my strength again was pretty sweet. That’s something that I have worked my butt off to get to that point.”
It looks like his “break” paid off splendidly. But more needs to be seen before any conclusions can be made regarding whether the “Tiger Woods of old” is indeed back.