Girl dies during round of miniature golf

An 11-year-old girl from New York was electrocuted Wednesday afternoon while playing miniature golf at a resort near Orlando.

A statement from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded to the incident at the Orange Lake Resort shortly after 2 p.m. local time.

"During her game [of miniature golf], the victim’s golf ball fell into a small pond that is located inside the golf area. When the victim attempted to retrieve her ball from the pond, she screamed as if she was in distress," the statement said.

"Another guest, Christopher Burges, who was also in the golf area heard the screaming and attempted to rescue her. Mr. Burges was unable to rescue the child as he suffered an injury as well."

The victim, identified by deputies as Ashton Jojo of New York, died after being transported to Celebration Hospital. The incident is still under investigation.