BC-Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Thursday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– LOVELOCK, Nev. – O.J. Simpson is making the case on live TV for his release from prison, where the 70-year-old former football star has been serving a 33-year sentence for an armed robbery involving sports memorabilia. Simpson will ask Nevada parole officials to release him in October. Hearing starts 1 p.m.
– SOUTHPORT, England – Two great bunker shots by Jordan Spieth and Brooks Koepka – one for par, one for eagle – led to a 5-under 65 for each of them in the opening round of the British Open.
– INDIANAPOLIS – Hendrick Motorsports has picked 24-year-old Alex Bowman to be Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s replacement next season.
– LOS ANGELES – The Dodgers are bringing home their longest winning streak of the season, seeking a 12th straight victory as they host Atlanta. Los Angeles has won 31 of 35 – its best stretch of that length ever – and can extend it when Brandon McCarthy faces Mike Foltynewicz. Game starts 10:10 p.m.
– SAN FRANCISCO – Madison Bumgarner, still winless this season in five starts, makes his first home appearance since returning from an April 20 dirt bike accident when the lefty pitches the opener of a four-game series against the San Diego Padres. Game starts 10:15 p.m.
– SAN FRANCISCO – A person with knowledge of his plans tells The Associated Press that Pablo Sandoval plans to sign a minor league contract to return to the San Francisco Giants.
– GLENDALE, Ariz. – Mexico, winner of three of the last four Gold Cups but with most of its best players left off the roster, faces Honduras in a CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinal match. Game starts approximately 10:30 p.m.
– COL DE L’IZOARD, France – Chris Froome and his rivals compete in the ultimate Alpine race of the Tour de France, a grueling 179.5-kilometer (111.5-mile) ride up to the Col d’Izoard.
– OPELIKA, Ala. – Davis Love III and Jim Furyk are among the players vying for a PGA Championship spot in the Barbasol Championship at Grand National.