Marlins give manager Mike Redmond extension through 2017
The Miami Marlins announced a contract extension for manager Mike Redmond through the 2017 season Sunday afternoon.
Redmond had signed a three-year deal prior to the 2013 season. The 43-year-old had never coached in the majors leagues. Upon his retirement in 2010 after 13 seasons in the big leagues, Redmond managed the Class-A Lansing Lugnuts in 2011 and Class A-Advanced Dunedin in 2012 of the Toronto Blue Jays organization.
"It has been such a great year for us and a tremendous step we’ve taken," president of baseball operations Michael Hill told FOX Sports Florida’s telecast. "We’ve spoken so much about continuity and building blocks and we spent a long time over the last few days and weeks with our owner Jeffrey Loria about our direction and where we want to go. We felt there was no better message to deliver to the people of South Florida than to tell them our manager Mike Redmond has been extended through the 2017 season.
"We wanted to give it to you guys and the people of South Florida to know the commitment our ownership has (with) Jeffrey Loria and our front office, and we know that moving forward we’re going to have Mike Redmond at the helm of the talented ballclub, and one that’s building toward future championships."
Even after being no-hit on Closing Day, Miami finished (77-85) — a 15-game improvement from 2013. The Marlins became just one of three National League teams since the division split in 1969 to win 77 or more games following a 100-loss season, joining the 1986 Giants (83 wins) and the 2005 Diamondbacks (77 wins).
"I’m excited to be here," Redmond told reporters in Washington D.C. following Sunday’s game. "This is something we’ve been talking about for a few days. This was a great year. I realize the guys in that room get a lot of credit for the success of our season, but the coaching staff’s helped me out a lot. I’m excited to continue this process of building this team and organization and the direction we know we’re headed is the right one. See us making the playoffs. That’s what I came here for — to turn this thing around and get us to win ballgames and back to the playoffs. We want to be where (the Nationals) are headed."
Hill also announced that the entire major-league staff will return in 2015. It marks the first time since 2008-09 during Fredi Gonzalez’s tenure that there will be no changes.
Bench coach Rob Leary, pitching coach Chuck Hernandez, hitting coach Frank Menechino, first base/infield coach Perry Hill, third base/outfield coach Brett Butler and bullpen coach Reid Cornelius will all be back.
"The credit goes to Red and his staff and what they’ve been able to accomplish," Hill said. "The strides we’ve made in adding 15 more wins from last year. … And the growth of all of our young players. So many positive things, and we think he and his staff deserve the credit."