Marlins recall Cosart, Solano, reinstate Urena
MIAMI — The Miami Marlins recalled right-hander Jarred Cosart and infielder Donovan Solano, while reinstating righty Jose Urena from the disabled list prior to Friday’s game against the New York Mets.
Cosart, who has dealt with two bouts of vertigo this season, last pitched in the big leagues July 4, when he exited in the second inning following Chicago Cubs rookie Kris Bryant’s grand slam. He gave up seven runs on four hits and three walks. He was demoted shortly after.
Manager Dan Jennings said Cosart could start Sunday.
"Certainly in talking to Jarred today when I first saw him knowing what we know about where he is stretched out at that 70-pitch mark great to see him back because he’s certainly one of the guys back in the offseason that would be one of our five," Jennings said. "It’s good to see him in that capacity."
During his first stint in the minors, Cosart was diagnosed with an inner-ear disorder. Upon his return, he allowed seven runs on 12 hits in 13 innings over three outings — his last outing coming Tuesday with Single-A Jupiter.
For the past month-and-a-half, Cosart has been undergoing therapy for two hours a day twice a day to help with his balance. According to doctors, the main nerve in his right ear was 70 percent less responsive than the one in his left. It likely affected him the entire season, causing dizziness and nausea. Since therapy, the symptoms have gone away. He is confident it will stay that way.
"If I continue to do the exercises it shouldn’t come back," Cosart said. "I shouldn’t have any issues with it."
The 25-year-old righty was a member of the Opening Day rotation. Cosart posted a 1-4 record and 5.36 ERA in nine games (eight starts) before the demotion. In 45 1/3 innings, he struck out just 29 hitters with 20 walks.
Acquired during last year’s trade deadline from the Houston Astros, Cosart showed promise as a front-end starter by going 4-4 with a 2.39 ERA in 10 starts.
"I’m built up," Cosart said. "I’m able to go 100 pitches now. I feel great. We’ll see what happens. I’m just happy to be healthy. Whatever they want me to do. I don’t think it’s something that’s going to make or break anything going forward. Obviously I’d like to have a good last month whatever my role or job is. Just finish strong and see what happens from there. Happy to be healthy and to be back with the guys."
Urena, who turns 24 later this month, landed on the DL Aug. 7 with a left knee contusion he suffered when a liner by the Atlanta Braves’ Daniel Castro struck him.
The 24-year-old rookie had gone 1-5 with a 5.11 ERA in 11 games (nine starts). In June before being sent down to Triple-A New Orleans, Urena posted a 1-3 record and 2.86 ERA in six starts. Upon his return, however, he surrendered nine earned runs on 14 hits over seven innings in two outings for an 11.57 ERA.
"Right now we’ll probably put him in the bullpen," Jennings said. "As we go into the remaining portion of this month, (pitching coach) Chuck (Hernandez) and I have talked about if some of these guys are reaching a high threshold in innings we could piggyback some of them just to keep from stacking innings on them. And the fact (with) September call-ups you’re afforded that ability to do it."
Solano hit .156 with two doubles, one triple and six RBI in parts of 46 games with the Marlins earlier this season. He had made the Opening Day roster in three straight years.
After Adeiny Hechavarria exited Wednesday’s game in Atlanta with a strained left hamstring, the Marlins decided to bring Solano up before the minor-league schedule ended as protection for the middle infield. Hechavarria was a late scratch Friday.
"We’re just being a little cautious right now, so we don’t pull a hamstring and he’ll end up on the DL," said Jennings, who expects Hechavarria back in 1-2 days.
Several outlets reported an executives meeting Thursday to discuss the future of the organization, particularly the front office and managerial positions.
"Was there a meeting?" Jennings said with a smile. "I don’t know. If there was I wouldn’t make it for public disclosure. My son texted me and said, ‘Hey, this is being written, that’s being written.’ Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but not everyone’s entitled to the facts."
Jennings, the organization’s general manager when the season began, took over for Mike Redmond on May 18 — a day after the Marlins fired the third-year skipper. The outside-the-box move stunned baseball as the front office member had only coached high school baseball in the 1980s.
Miami has gone 39-57 under Jennings, though his tenure has included injuries to All-Stars Giancarlo Stanton and Dee Gordon, Gold Glover Christian Yelich and setup man Carter Capps, among others.
Asked what job he liked better, Jennings offered the politically correct answer.
"Right now I’m the manager, and that’s what I like," Jennings said. "I like the way these guys are playing. We had our first winning roadtrip, we moved up in the standings and I’m very, very proud of the way these kids are playing, the way they’re going about it every night. The quality of at-bats up and down the lineup, the situational hitting. And I have to tell you — some of these young pitchers are stepping up and definitely taking advantage of this opportunity, and it’s great to see."