Daily Fantasy Baseball Advice for May 3
Let’s get to today’s interesting facts, using DraftKings prices. Tigers-Indians (6:10 p.m. ET) is not included in DK’s night slate.
5 Things to Watch:
1. Matt Harvey is the biggest favorite on the board BY FAR at -240 against the Braves, and his salary of $10,300 is much more reasonable than Jake Arrieta’s. Harvey figures to be heavily owned, though. Matt Moore ($8,600) isn’t a bad option vs. the Dodgers, who have struggled vs. LHP (.291 wOBA), in a game with a projected run total of seven. Michael Wacha ($9,000) is at -161 over the terrible Phillies with a projected run total of seven.
2. If you want to save more money on SPs, Andrew Cashner ($6,700) faces the Rockies at PETCO, and has averaged 18.9 DK points in two home starts so far.
3. Yo, BvPers: Alex Rodriguez ($4,000) has four homers in 13 at bats vs. Chris Tillman … Josh Donaldson ($5,200) has four extra-base hits and a 1.346 OPS in 13 at bats vs. Martin Perez … Ian Desmond ($3,700) has whiffed nine times in 13 at bats vs. Marco Estrada.
4. Rangers-Jays and Angels-Brewers have the highest projected run totals at nine. Stacking the Jays’ righty slugger vs. Perez is the obvious but chalky play. The other weak pitchers to target are Cincinnati’s Jon Moscot (vs. Giants) and Milwaukee’s Junior Guerra (vs. Angels). And as much as it pains my Yankee fan heart to write this, you can certainly consider some of the powerful Orioles vs. the struggling Luis Severino.
5. Bargain hunters: Mets OF Michael Conforto is one of just six outfielders averaging 10 DK points, and he’s just $3,700 vs. Matt Wisler … Dodgers OF Kike Hernandez ($2,900) has a .458 wOBA in 147 career plate appearances vs. LHP … Cubs 2B/3B Tommy La Stella ($2,900) hits LHP pretty well, and has been batting near the top of the order on some days. He’s got no power, though … Twins SS Danny Santana is more bad than good, but he’s $2,300, bats leadoff and had two double-digit DK games last week.
Adam Meyer’s daily fantasy baseball advice…
After allowing two runs in the first inning, Jon Gray settled down and pitched well. He even struck out 11 Padres. If you took the chance on him, you were probably able to add Mike Trout and Yoenis Cespedes to your DFS lineup. Both him home runs and both were suggested here on Monday.
Must-Start of the day: Edwin Encarnacion, TOR
I’m loading up on Blue Jays tonight and Encarnacion is a staple to that lineup. He’s great against lefties and is well over-due for taking his parrot on a stroll along the bases.
Deal of the day: Jose Bautista, TOR
The $4,200 price tag on DraftKings is usually reserved for that middle tier of players who can sometimes hit home runs. That label shouldn’t be given to Joey Bats. He’s a bargain and a must-add to your Blue Jays stack.
Avoid of the day: Jason Kipnis, CLE
Justin Verlander always seems to give Kipnis problems. In his career, Kipnis is 4-45 (.089) with 14 strikeouts against Verlander.
Stack of the day: Toronto Blue Jays
It burned us yesterday, but I’m going back to the Six. When a left-handed pitcher is on the hill for the visiting team at the Rogers Centre, adding as many Blue Jays to your DFS lineup is always a good idea.
Jake Arrieta, CHC – There is always that one cheap DFS arm that surprises you and makes you wish that you pulled the trigger and not spent so much on your ace. However, today that isn’t the case. Spend big on the top three options for Tuesday. Arrieta has struck out at least six batters in each start and has a combined 1.00 ERA.
Matt Harvey, NYM – His Mets are the strongest favorite on the board (-225) and the over/under is seven runs. That gives Atlanta a 2.72 implied run total, the lowest of the day. In his last two starts, Harvey has allowed two earned runs and struck out at least five batters.
Michael Wacha, STL – After striking out zero Padres in six innings on April 23rd (crazy, right?), Wacha punched out nine Diamondbacks in his last performance. If Arrieta is too rich for your blood, you could probably build a lineup with both Harvey and Wacha on DraftKings ($19,300 total)
Welington Castillo, ARI – He has a .519 ISO against left-handed pitchers this season.
J.T. Realmuto, MIA – He has a .273 ISO against southpaws this season.
Trevor Brown, SF – Great punt play if he gets the nod. Brown has a .333 ISO against righties this season.
Chris Davis, BAL – He has a .339 ISO against righties this year.
Edwin Encarnacion, TOR – He has a .211 ISO against lefties.
Albert Pujols, LAA – He has a .215 ISO against righties in 2016.
Logan Forsythe, TB – He has a .429 ISO against lefties.
Jose Altuve, HOU – He has a .314 ISO against righties.
Jonathan Schoop, BAL – He has a .210 ISO against RHPs this year.
Ben Zobrist, CHC – He has a .200 ISO against left-handed pitchers.
Josh Donaldson, TOR – He has a .591 ISO against lefties.
Manny Machado, BAL – He has a .360 ISO against righties this year.
Evan Longoria, TB – He has a .276 ISO against left-handed pitchers in 2016.
Alex Rodriguez, NYY – (See "5 Things")
Brandon Crawford, SF – He has a .228 ISO against RHPs.
Cliff Pennington, LAA – He has a .222 ISO against righties this season.
Michael Saunders, TOR – He has a .500 ISO against southpaws.
Colby Rasmus, HOU – He has a .319 ISO against righties this season.
Mike Trout, LAA – This year, he has a .306 ISO against righties.
Preston Tucker, HOU – He has a .265 ISO against righties this year.
Hunter Pence, SF – He has a .227 ISO against right-handed pitchers in 2016.
Jose Bautista, TOR – He has a .200 ISO against left-handed pitchers.
Yasmany Tomas, ARI – He has a .393 ISO against southpaws this season.
Marcell Ozuna, MIA – Though it’s only 14 at-bats, Ozuna has a .571 ISO against lefties this season.
- Albert Pujols
- Alex Rodriguez
- Andrew Cashner
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Atlanta Braves
- Baltimore Orioles
- Ben Zobrist
- Chicago Cubs
- Chris Tillman
- Cleveland Indians
- Cliff Pennington
- Colorado Rockies
- Daily Fantasy Baseball
- Detroit Tigers
- Edwin Encarnación
- Fantasy Baseball
- Houston Astros
- Ian Desmond
- Jake Arrieta
- Jon Moscot
- Jonathan Schoop
- José Bautista
- Josh Donaldson
- Kiké Hernández
- Los Angeles Angels
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Luis Severino
- Manny Machado
- Martín Pérez
- Matt Harvey
- Matt Moore
- Matt Wisler
- Miami Marlins
- Michael Conforto
- Michael Saunders
- Michael Wacha
- Mike Trout
- New York Mets
- New York Yankees
- Philadelphia Phillies
- San Diego Padres
- San Francisco Giants
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Texas Rangers
- Tommy La Stella
- Toronto Blue Jays
- Yoenis Céspedes