Former Michigan OL Taylor Lewan to be charged for December fight
Taylor Lewan will have more to deal with in April than preparing for the NFL draft.
As first reported by MLive, Lewan is scheduled to be arraigned on April 8 on three misdemeanor assault charges stemming from a fight in Ann Arbor last year. The most serious charge, aggravated assault, carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.
Lewan, expected to be a top-10 pick in the draft after a stellar career as an offensive tackle at Michigan, was involved in the incident in the early morning of Dec. 1, just hours after Ohio State’s narrow victory over the Wolverines. Two Ohio State fans reported being assaulted, and an Ann Arbor police spokesperson told MLive that Lewan is expected to be the only person charged in the matter.
Despite the incident, Lewan was allowed to play in Michigan’s Dec. 28 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl loss to Kansas State. In the buildup to the bowl, and again at the NFL scouting combine, Lewan insisted that he had not been involved in the fight, but had merely been trying to break it up.
Lewan being allowed to play in the bowl game after the altercation comes on the heels of questions about how the football program handled the situation involving kicker Brendan Gibbons. Gibbons was allowed to play against Iowa on Nov. 23, three days after a university investigation found him in violation of the school’s sexual-misconduct policy.
Michigan coach Brady Hoke listed Gibbons as injured, not suspended, for the Ohio State game, then told the media that the senior was taking care of personal business rather than traveling with the team to the bowl game. By that point, Gibbons had been expelled from the school because of the sexual-misconduct finding.