Kings drop Game 3 to Sharks after questionable call

SAN JOSE, Calif. — It’s been said that a referee is doing a good job when he goes unnoticed.

However, just three games into the second-round playoff series between the Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks, the officiating has become front and center.

With just four seconds left in regulation and the Kings already a man down, Kings forward Trevor Lewis was called for goaltender interference with 4.5 seconds left in regulation.

The Sharks entered overtime on a 5-on-3 power play and capitalized for a 2-1 victory on a goal by a wide open Logan Couture to cut the Kings’ series lead, 2-1.

“You give him that kind of time and that kind of space he is most likely going to make you pay and he did,” said Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi.

Still, all the talk in the Kings locker room following the game centered around the penalty call on Trevor Lewis.

“I didn’t think it was a penalty,” Lewis said. “Something happened, I don’t know.”

“I find it very tough to believe that a player as intelligent as Trevor would run the goalie,” said Kings forward Dustin Penner. “I asked him and he said he was pushed from behind. I believe him. I’m disappointed in the refs that they could make a gutsy call like that in the last 30 seconds of a period. It’s pretty impressive when you have enough gall to guess. I’m going to look at the tape and see if he got pushed because I know what it is like to drive the net.” 

A frustrated Kings goalie Jonathan Quick gave referee Marc Joannette an earful as he skated off the ice earning him a 10-minute misconduct and a game misconduct.

According to Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times, Quick faces supplementary discipline from the league, which could amount to a suspension, but will likely result in a hefty fine.

Following the game, Kings coach Darryl Sutter was asked if he had a chance to see a replay of the Lewis penalty.

“What do I have to watch the replay for? They said we got a break last game so what should I say, they got a break tonight?,” Sutter said

“We’re not happy with the calls, but what team is?” added Scuderi. “We will try to do our best to dust ourselves and get ready for the next one.

The Sharks voiced their displeasure after Games 1 and 2 over the officiating in light of the series suspension handed to Raffi Torres for his hit on Jarret Stoll in Game 1.

In Game 2, the Sharks were up in arms following a delay of game call on Marc Edouard Vlasic that led to the Kings’ game-winning goal.

In a statement released Friday by Sharks general manager Doug Wilson, he said the league was wrong in its decision to suspend Torres because the hit delivered on Stoll was a legal hit. For his opinion, the league slapped Wilson with a $100,000 fine.
It’s just getting interesting and we are only three games in the series. The two teams have a couple of days to regroup with Game 4 on Tuesday night in San Jose.