Monday was supposed to be a quiet day for the local sports scene, but the Michigan Wolverines just changed all of that.
New Jersey guard Tyus Battle, a 6-6 shooting guard who rates as one of the top-20 high-school players in the class of 2016, made an official visit to Ann Arbor over the weekend, and quickly made a decision.
Monday, in the way of all athletes these days, Battle took to Twitter to announce his news:
"Excited to say I am going to be a Wolverine!" was followed by several emojis and a large picture of Michigan’s Block M logo.
Battle had already turned down Kentucky, but at least one national recruiting service expected him to pick Duke, with Syracuse as his second option.
Gary Battle, Tyus’ dad, told Syracuse.com that Michigan’s academics was a big part of the final decision.
"He was strong in his conviction," Gary Battle said. "He’s grown to care a lot about the business aspect of it. He wants to go to the business school and become an entrepreneur.
"He also really like what Coach Beilein could do it terms of his development."
Battle, who will be a senior this fall at Gill St. Bernard’s School in Gladstone, NJ, is projected to play shooting guard, and at 6-foot-6, could slide right into the hole left by Caris LeVert’s graduation.