Dorner manhunt may be over after standoff

Charred human remains have been found in the burned cabin
where police believe fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner was holed up after
trading gunfire with law enforcement, authorities said.

If the body is identified to be Dorner’s, the standoff
would end a weeklong manhunt for the ex-LAPD officer and Navy Reserve
lieutenant who is believed to be responsible for a string of revenge-fueled
shootings following his firing by the Los Angeles Police Department several
years ago. Four people have died, allegedly at Dorner’s hands.

The latest burst of gunfire Tuesday came after the
suspect, attempting to flee law enforcement officials, shot to death a San
Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy and seriously injured another, officials
said. He then barricaded himself in a wooden cabin outside Big Bear, not far
from ski resorts in the snow-capped San Bernardino Mountains east of Los
Angeles, according to police.

Just before 5 p.m., authorities smashed the cabin’s
windows, pumped in tear gas and called for the suspect to surrender. They got
no response. Then, using a demolition vehicle, they tore down the cabin’s walls
one by one. When they reached the last wall, they heard a gunshot, officials
said, and then the cabin burst into flames.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said he would not
consider the manhunt over until a body was identified as Dorner.

“It is a bittersweet night,” Beck said as he
drove to the hospital where the injured deputy was located. The deputy is
expected to survive, but it is anticipated that he’ll need several surgeries.
“This could have ended much better, it could have ended worse. I feel for
the family of the deputy who lost his life.”

According to a manifesto that authorities say Dorner
posted on Facebook, he felt that the LAPD unjustly fired him several years ago,
after a disciplinary panel determined that he lied in accusing his training
officer of kicking a mentally ill man during an arrest. Beck has promised to
review the case.

The manifesto vowed “unconventional and asymmetrical
warfare” against law enforcement officers and their families.
“Self-preservation is no longer important to me. I do not fear death as I
died long ago.”

Last week,
authorities said they had tracked Dorner, 33, to a wooded area near Big Bear
Lake. They said they found his torched gray Nissan Titan with several weapons
inside, and that the only trace of the suspect was a short trail of footprints
in newly fallen snow.

On Tuesday morning, two maids entered a cabin in the 1200
block of Club View Drive and ran into a man who they said resembled the
fugitive, a law enforcement official said. The cabin was not far from where
Dorner’s singed truck had been found and where police had been holding news
conferences about the manhunt.

The man tied up the maids, and he took off in a purple
Nissan parked near the cabin, the official said. About 12:20 p.m., one of the
maids broke free and called police.

Nearly half an hour later, officers with the California
Department of Fish and Wildlife spotted the stolen vehicle and called for
backup, authorities said. The suspect turned down a side road in an attempt to
elude the officers but crashed the vehicle, police said.

A short time later, authorities said, the suspect carjacked
a light-colored pickup truck. Allan Laframboise said the truck belonged to his
friend. Rick Heltebrake, who works at a nearby Boy Scout camp.

Heltebrake was driving on Glass Road with his Dalmatian,
Suni, when a hulking African American man stepped into the road, Laframboise
said. Heltebrake stopped. The man told him to get out of the truck.

“Can I take my dog?” Heltebrake asked,
according to his friend.

“You can leave and you can take your dog,” the
man reportedly said. He then sped off in the Dodge extended-cab pickup — and
quickly encountered two Department of Fish and Wildlife trucks, officials said.

As the suspect zoomed past the officers, he rolled down
his window and fired about 15 to 20 rounds, authorities said. One of the
officers jumped out and shot a high-powered rifle at the fleeing pickup, they
said, and the suspect abandoned the vehicle and took off on foot.

Police said he ended up at the Seven Oaks Mountain
Cabins, a cluster of wood-frame buildings about halfway between Big Bear Lake
and Yucaipa. The suspect exchanged gunfire with San Bernardino County sheriff’s
deputies as he fled into a cabin that locals described as a single-story,
multi-room structure.

The suspect fired from the cabin, striking one deputy,
law enforcement sources said. Then he ducked out the back of the cabin,
deployed a smoke bomb and opened fire again, hitting a second deputy. Neither
deputy was identified by authorities. The suspect retreated back into the

The gun battle was captured on TV by KCAL-TV Channel 9 reporter
Carter Evans, who said he was about 200 feet from the cabin. As Evans described
on air how deputies were approaching the structure, he was interrupted by 10
seconds of gunfire.

Deputies drew their weapons and sprinted toward Evans.
Someone yelled for him to move — then about 20 more seconds of shooting

“Hey! Get … out of here, pal,” someone shouted.
Evans was unharmed.

The gunfire gave way to a tense standoff. Mountain
residents locked their doors and hunkered down.

Holly Haas, 52, who lives about a mile from where the
shootout unfolded, said she heard helicopters buzzing on and off until about
3:30 p.m. One dipped so close to her home, she said, “I could throw a rock
and hit it.”

Others watched the standoff unfold on television. At her
home, Candy Martin sat down to watch TV when, to her surprise, she spotted her
rental cabin — where the suspect was believed to be holed up — on the screen.

She said she contacted police and told them that the
furnished, 85-year-old cabin had no cable, telephone or Internet service. No
one had booked it for Monday.

“There should have been nobody,” she recalled
saying. “Nobody in any way.”

Within hours, authorities moved in on the cabin. The fire
broke out, setting off ammunition that had apparently been inside. On TV,
viewers saw only the orange flames and curls of black smoke.

LAPD Chief Beck said his officers have been providing
around-the-clock protection for more than 50 people thought to be Dorner’s
targets since the manifesto was discovered.

Police say Dorner’s first victims were the daughter of
the retired LAPD official who represented him at his disciplinary hearing and
her fiance. Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence were found shot to death Feb. 3 in
their car in their condo complex’s parking structure.

Days later, Dorner allegedly attempted to steal a boat in
San Diego in a failed bid to escape to Mexico. By Feb. 7, authorities said, he
had fled to the Inland Empire. In Corona, police said, he fired at an LAPD
officer searching for him at a gas station. About half an hour later, he
allegedly opened fire on two Riverside officers, killing Michael Crain, 34, and
injuring his partner.

Early on in the manhunt, officers mistakenly fired on
three people in the Torrance area — two Latina women and a white man — while
searching for Dorner, who is 6 feet tall and 270 pounds.

After his truck was found in Big Bear, authorities
swarmed the area, where many cabins sit empty during the winter.

At the height of the search, more than 200 officers
scoured the mountain, while others sifted through more than 1,000 tips that
poured in after officials offered a $1-million reward.

Just as some officials began to speculate that the former
cop had failed to survive in the wilderness, Dorner apparently surfaced.