As the Angels hitters crushed home run after home run off Tigers’ pitching Tuesday, Detroit police scoured Comerica Park for an explosive device after receiving an anonymous threat.
The nearly 34,000 fans sat and watched the Angels overpower the Tigers, 13-0. All the while, police and Tigers security personnel were conducting a three-hour search throughout the stadium.
Police said the call came in at 8 p.m. EDT, nearly an hour after the game had begun, but would not discuss why there was no announcement made to fans or players during the game and why no evacuation attempt was made.
Tigers’ vice president of communications Ron Colangelo released the following statement to The Times: “Our primary concern is for the safety and security of our guests, employees, and players. As it pertains to Tuesday’s game, we worked closely and collaboratively with law enforcement officials and followed firmly established protocols in jointly making a determination not to evacuate the ballpark. Because this matter is under active investigation, we are unable to provide further comment.”
Colangelo would not discuss the established set of protocols at Comerica for dealing with bomb threats, but said that this was the “first threat at the stadium this year.” He refused to discuss past threats or even acknowledge if there had been any since the opening of the park in 2000.
Multiple calls to Major League Baseball in regard to stadium policy on handling bomb threats were not immediately returned.
This is the third such threat in the Detroit area in a week. On July 10, Detroit police were told there was a bomb in the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, causing authorities to close the well-traveled roadway to and from the Canadian province of Ontario. On Monday, after receiving a similar threat, police shut down the Ambassador Bridge, creating another traffic nightmare.
Police found no device at any of the three locations, and would not say if the incidents are related.