NEW DELHI (AP) India’s cricket board on Sunday approved the country’s participation in the Champions Trophy, ending speculation about the team staying away from the tournament because of a financial dispute with the International Cricket Council.
The Indian squad will be picked on Monday, said a statement by Amitabh Choudhary, acting Honorary Secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
The unanimous decision to allow India to defend its title was made at a special general meeting of the BCCI in New Delhi on Sunday.
Article continues below ...
The BCCI delayed naming the Indian team because of its objections that a new ICC financial formula hurts India’s interests by reducing its revenues from $570 million to $293 million for the period 2016-23. Reportedly, the ICC has offered India another $100 million but that is yet to be accepted by the BCCI.
All seven of the other teams taking part in the tournament were announced by the April 25 deadline: England, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Australia, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh.
The tournament begins in Britain on June 1.
Last week, a committee of administrators appointed by India’s Supreme Court to reform Indian cricket following the Indian Premier League corruption scandal ordered the Indian cricket board to name a team.
The committee told the BCCI that the team could be submitted to the ICC without prejudice to its legal rights.
”The board unanimously authorized the acting Honorary Secretary of the BCCI to continue negotiations with the ICC in the best interest of the BCCI while keeping its legal options open,” said the statement on Sunday.