Timeline: Former Ohio State running back Clarett

A timeline of events surrounding former Ohio State running back

Maurice Clarett:

Aug. 20, 2002 – Listed as starting running back at Ohio State,

the first time a freshman has opened as the starter at the position

since 1943.

October 2002 – Misses two games with an injured left shoulder.

Says he has received dozens of pieces of hate mail from Ohio State

fans since an ESPN The Magazine article earlier in the month that

quoted him saying he’s thought about leaving college early for the


Nov. 23, 2002 – After returning from injury, rushes for 119

yards on 20 carries, scores on a 2-yard run and sets up another

touchdown with a 26-yard pass reception in a 14-9 win over Michigan

that boosts Buckeyes into Fiesta Bowl showdown with Miami.

Jan. 3, 2003 – Dives into the end zone on a 5-yard run,

providing the winning score in a 31-24 double-overtime victory over

Miami to give Ohio State its first national title in 34 years.

July 29, 2003 – Ohio State confirms the NCAA is investigating

Clarett’s claim that more than $10,000 in clothing, CDs, cash and

stereo equipment was stolen in April from a 2001 Chevrolet Monte

Carlo that Clarett had borrowed from a local dealership.

Sept. 9, 2003 – Charged with misdemeanor falsification for the

police report on the theft.

Sept. 10, 2003 – Athletic director Andy Geiger announces Clarett

is suspended for the season. Geiger says Clarett received special

benefits worth thousands of dollars from a family friend and

repeatedly misled investigators.

Sept. 23, 2003 – Sues the NFL, challenging the rule that a

player must be out of high school three years to be eligible for

the draft.

Jan. 14, 2004 – Pleads guilty in Franklin County Municipal Court

to failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a lesser charge than

lying on a police report; ordered to pay the maximum fine of $100.

He will serve no jail time and the charge won’t appear on a

criminal record.

May 24, 2004 – The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals formally

rules against Clarett in the NFL eligibility case.

April 23, 2005 – Chosen in the third round of the NFL draft by

the Denver Broncos.

Aug. 28, 2005 – Broncos cut Clarett after he was sidelined for

most of the preseason with a groin injury.

Jan. 1, 2006 – Accused of robbing two people at gunpoint in an

alley behind a Columbus bar and is wanted by police on two counts

of aggravated robbery.

Aug. 9, 2006 – Arrested after highway chase that police say

started when he refused to pull over after a traffic violation.

Police say they use pepper spray on him and find three handguns and

an AK-47 assault rifle inside the vehicle he was driving.

Sept. 18, 2006 – Pleads guilty to having a hidden gun in his

sport utility vehicle and holding up two people outside a bar.

Sentenced to at least 3 1/2 years in prison.

Dec. 13, 2006 – Transferred to the Toledo Correctional

Institution, where he could spend the remainder of his


March 2009: Clarett phones blogs to family who post them; in

them, he says defects in his character put him behind bars, that he

wants others to learn from his wrong decisions, and that he’s

interested in public speaking once he’s out.

April 2009: Clarett asks for early release.

June 18, 2009: Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien asks

governor and parole board to reject early release. Clarett’s

attorney says NFL teams have contacted Clarett in prison and that

he has an opportunity to play NFL, arena or Canadian professional

football if he’s released within the next few months.

Aug 3, 2009: Clarett withdraws request for early release from


February 2010: Clarett again asks for early release from


April 5, 2010: After his attorney files a motion for judicial

release, Clarett is moved from Toledo Correctional Institution to

Franklin County jail. He is scheduled to go before Common Pleas

Judge David Fais on Wednesday afternoon, who is expected to send

him to a community-based security facility in Columbus. An

“assessment” of his situation – based on employment, education

and family situation – will take a maximum of 6 months, leading

eventually to his release.