Texas wins 30-7 at TCU in game delayed 3 hours

Malcolm Brown ran for two touchdowns, Case McCoy threw for 228

yards with a long score and Texas remained undefeated in the Big 12

with a 30-7 win at TCU in a game that ended early Sunday


There was a weather delay of 3 hours, 6 minutes after officials

stopped the game in the second quarter Saturday night because of

lightning that was part of an approaching storm. The game resumed

just after 11 p.m., and ended after 12:30 a.m.

Brown’s 3-yard TD run with 9 minutes left in the third quarter

gave Texas (5-2, 4-0 Big 12) a 27-7 lead. He also had another

3-yard score more than four hours before that, one play after a TCU

fumble midway through the first quarter.

Texas has won four games in a row since going 1-2 during its

non-conference schedule. That including a 19-point loss at BYU in a

game where the Longhorns also had to endure a lengthy weather delay

and the start was delayed 1 hour, 47 minutes.

TCU (3-5, 1-4) has consecutive losses for the first time this

season. The Frogs hadn’t had five losses through eight games since

a 10-game losing streak to start the 1997 season.

Anthony Fera kicked three field goals for the Longhorns, who

remained tied atop the Big 12 standings with sixth-ranked Baylor

(7-0, 4-0). The Bears won at Kansas on Saturday night while No. 10

Texas Tech lost for the first time, at No. 17 Oklahoma.

McCoy, who started his fourth game with David Ash still out

because of lingering concussion symptoms, was 9 of 19 passing with

two interceptions.

Only a few minutes before the lightning delay started, McCoy hit

Marcus Johnson in stride for a 65-yard touchdown that made it 17-7.

Johnson had three catches for 120 yards.

Texas, coming off an open date that followed a win over Oklahoma

in the Red River Rivalry in nearby Dallas two weeks ago, took the

lead for good midway through the first quarter when Brown scored

after quarterback Trevone Boykin’s fumble. Boykin had already been

sacked once on the drive, and was pressured and in trouble again

when he was surrounded by three defenders and hit. Adrian Phillips

recovered the loose ball at the 3.

When TCU got back on the field for its third series, Casey

Pachall replaced Boykin.

It was the first game for Pachall since breaking his left

(non-throwing) arm in the second game of the season seven weeks

ago. He got hurt Sept. 7 against Southeastern Louisiana.

The Horned Frogs had only 5 total yards on seven offensive plays

before Pachall took over. They finished with 247 yards, with

Pachall going 13-of-34 for 140 yards.

TCU announced a crowd of 48,212, the second-largest ever at Amon

G. Carter Stadium. Texas played there for the first time since

1994, when both teams were in the old Southwest Conference.

The stands were well less than half full when play resumed.

The final 6 minutes of the second quarter were played swiftly,

with three punts before Fera kicked a 37-yard field goal on the

final play of the first half.

There was then a break of less than 5 minutes for halftime, with

the teams remaining on the field, before starting the second


After Fera kicked a 43-yard field goal to make it 10-0 late in

the first quarter, the Frogs scored on their next drive on a double

pass. Pachall threw to Cameron Echols-Luper in the backfield, and

the receiver hit LaDarius Brown for a 38-yard TD.

Fera added a 36-yard field goal with about 12 minutes left in

the game.

Referee Scott Novak stopped the game in the second quarter,

announcing that both teams were being sent to the locker room for

the safety of the players. He referred to flashing warning lights

nearby that indicate lighting was in the area.

There were severe storms in the area but the rain didn’t start

to fall and the first visible flashes of lightning didn’t come

until several minutes after the players went inside. There was a

bolt of lightning that went straight down behind one side of the

stands, and several more after that when the storm moved over the