Report: Badgers’ Justin Wilcox interviews for California head coaching vacancy
Wisconsin Badgers defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox reportedly interviewed for the California Golden Bears head coach position.
Roughly a year after the Wisconsin Badgers saw defensive coordinator Dave Aranda leave Wisconsin to take the same position at LSU, the program could experience deja vu this time around.
Justin Wilcox, who was brought over from USC to take the same position at Wisconsin, reportedly interviewed for the California football head coaching position, sources indicate.
— Badger of Honor (@BadgerOfHonorFS) January 11, 2017
Wilcox just wrapped up his first full season with the Badgers. After loads of uncertainty heading into this season, his defense remained one of the best in the nation, ranking seventh in total defense and fourth in points per game allowed at just 15.5.
Wilcox certainly is familiar with the Pac 12, having spent a season at Washington as defensive coordinator before moving over to USC. He also has ties to California when he served as the linebackers coach there from 2003-2005.
The Bears are looking to find a replacement for Sonny Dykes who was relieved of his coaching duties after a four-year stint with the program.
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) January 8, 2017
Other names in the mix are current offensive coordinator Jake Spavital and former Oregon Ducks coach and recent 49ers’ lead guy Chip Kelly.
Stay tuned for further development.
More from Badger of Honor
- Wisconsin Basketball: Five toughest conference games remaining5h ago
- The State of the Wisconsin Backfield for the 2017 Season8h ago
- Frank Kaminsky’s 22 not enough as Hornets fall to Sam Dekker and the Houston Rockets15h ago
- Wisconsin Football: Early Look at the Badgers 2017 Rankings19h ago
- Wisconsin Football: Ryan Ramczyk makes it official, declares for NFL Draft19h ago