The Audible: Oregon-Ohio State title game, Jameis Winston, SEC’s image
This College Football Playoff thing is fun, isn’t it?
The opening day of the new championship format featured No. 1 Alabama, the SEC’s flagship team, falling to the controversial fourth seed, Ohio State. Almost 2,000 miles away, Oregon shellacked Florida State 59-20, snapping the Seminoles’ 29-game win streak while putting on a clinic of how to capitalize on turnovers.
The action set up a title game on Jan. 12 in Texas that will pit coach Urban Meyer’s Buckeyes up against Mark Helfrich’s Ducks.
FOX Sports’ Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandel were on site for the games and saw it all unfold. Naturally, they couldn’t wait to talk about it, so they put together the latest edition of The Audible on Friday morning.
Among the topics discussed in the podcast:
• How the Crimson Tide loss, and the 2014 bowl season, has affected the SEC’s image
• Why NFL scouts at the Rose Bowl actually were positive about Jameis Winston’s performance vs. Oregon
• The incredible story of Ohio State’s third-string QB Cardale Jones, who may be better than any signal-caller in the SEC
• How key injuries could affect the Ducks in the national championship game
• Punting; damn good punting
• And, of course, a preview of the College Football Playoff title game
• Plus, who Mandel and Feldman think will win the national crown, and much more
Listen to the conversation below. You can get every episode of The Audible delivered to you by subscribing on iTunes.
*Note: You may get a laugh from the beginning of the episode, when Bruce references some boring game going on between Houston and Pitt. Bruce, we hope you stuck around for the end!