Notable numbers from Mayfield’s Heisman Trophy victory
Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma won the 83rd Heisman Trophy in one of the most lopsided votes in in the history of the award.
Some notable facts and numbers about Mayfield’s victory:
– Sixth Oklahoma player to win the award, joining Billy Vessels (1952), Steve Owens (1969), Billy Sims (1978), Jason White (2003) and Sam Bradford (2008).
– Six Heisman trophies for Oklahoma trails only Notre Dame, Ohio State and Southern California. Each have seven, though USC’s Reggie Bush later had his victory vacated for NCAA rules violations.
– First senior to win the Heisman since Troy Smith of Ohio State in 2006.
– Seventh player to finish in the top five of Heisman voting three times, and first since Herschel Walker, who won the award in 1982. Mayfield was fourth in 2015 and third in 2016.
– 732 first-place votes received, fifth most in Heisman history.
– 86 percent of total possible points received, third highest percentage in Heisman history behind Smith (91.63) and Oregon Marcus Mariota (90.92) in 2014.