No. 23 Utah 17, BYU 16

Brandon Burton’s hands were stinging. In this case, the pain was


”Coach told me I needed to block that kick,” the Utah junior

said of what would have been a last-second, game-winning field goal

Saturday by rival BYU.

Burton obliged, coming around left end to knock down a 42-yard

attempt by Mitch Payne to preserve a wild 17-16 victory for the

23rd-ranked Utes in their final game with the Cougars as Mountain

West Conference rivals.

”I came full speed and laid out. I got all of it,” Burton


The full impact of what he had just done hit him a few seconds

later when thousands of red-clad Utah fans swarmed the field and

piled on Burton in celebration of the come-from-behind victory –

one that could send the 10-2 Utes (7-1 Mountain West) to the Armed

Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas.

”We’re a comeback squad,” Burton said of Utah, which started

the season 8-0 and climbed as high as No. 6 in the national

rankings before back-to-back losses to TCU and Notre Dame. ”We

never give up. This team has so much fight.”

Utah, which will join the Pac-12 Conference next year, showed it

a week ago when it rallied from a 20-3 second-quarter deficit to

beat San Diego State 38-34.

On Saturday, the Utes were down 13-0, with their starting

quarterback on the bench, and their running game in the tank.

Jordan Wynn, who took a pounding as a freshman starter last year

in the 26-23 overtime loss to BYU in Provo, got a second


Actually, he’d get third and fourth chances.

He was reinserted in the game after Terrance Cain threw his

second interception in as many possessions after taking over in the

second half.

Wynn completed a critical third-and-10 pass from the BYU 34 to

set up Joe Phillips’ 40-yard field goal on the first play of the

fourth quarter.

Then, when BYU counterpart Jake Heaps fumbled a handoff a minute

later, Utah was back in the game.

Wynn struck immediately, passing 37 yards to DeVonte

Christopher, who made an acrobatic catch in the end zone to pull

Utah within 13-10 with 13:46 remaining.

”I wasn’t playing well and the coaches need to do what they had

to do,” Wynn said. ”But it definitely motivated me and gave me an

extra push and I played much better when I went back in


Payne kicked his third field goal with 7:38 remaining to bump

BYU’s lead to 16-10.

After that, nothing went according to script.

The ball bounced Utah’s way twice more, first when a shanked

punt hit the leg of a BYU player and Greg Bird recovered for Utah

with 6:24 left, and a second time after Wynn was intercepted by

Brandon Bradley.

Tight end Kendrick Moeai tackled Bradley during his return and

forced a fumble. Utah got it back.

”That play defines our team,” Moeai said. ”We have

determination to get things done however we can. We did not want to

be upset today.”

Wynn (13 of 30 for 199 yards) completed a 6-yard pass to Matt

Asiata on the next play, then found tight end Dallin Rogers open

down the middle for a 29-yard gain to the BYU 3.

Asiata, who had only three carries for seven yards in the first

half and finished with 24, took it in from there on a a pitch right

and cut back.

BYU, which will become an independent in football and join the

West Coast Conference in other sports starting next year, had one

final chance.

Heaps (22 of 37 for 228 yards), who has made steady progress

through the year despite his youth, had the Cougars on the verge of

the upset.

He completed 4 of 4 passes for 50 yards, driving the Cougars

from his own 21 to the Utah 22, to put Payne in position with 4

seconds left.

”It was a dream,” Payne said. ”That’s something I’ve wanted

my whole life. I just wish I could have seen the ball sail through

those pipes.”

It wasn’t meant to be, much to the delight of the sellout crowd

of 45,272 at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

”It was a hard-fought game that came down to the last play and

we just couldn’t make it happen,” said BYU coach Bronco

Mendenhall, who had been 48-1 when taking a lead into the fourth


”There were a lot of mistakes on our side but I have to credit


There were seven turnovers in the game, including three lost

fumbles by BYU.

That both teams finished just three yards apart in total offense

(296-293 for Utah) showed how tight this rivalry has been over the

years. They had split the previous 10 meetings.

”The last 10-12 years, half of these games have come down to

the last play or one critical play at the end to determine the

outcome,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who played linebacker

at BYU. ”Business as usual in this series.”

It didn’t mean that he wasn’t nervous as BYU lined up for the

last field goal.

”I was just standing on the sidelines rubbing my lucky dimes

together,” Whittingham said. ”But then it was elation and I

breathed a sigh of relief.”

BYU had won three of the last four heading into Saturday. But

Utah was sending off 18 seniors – the winningest class in school


”It’s a fitting end to their careers here,” Whittingham