Heisman contenders Fournette, Boykin stay true to form
Tough Saturday for one of our leading contenders. UGA star Nick Chubb was knocked out of the game at Tennessee with a knee injury on the Dawgs’ first series. Georgia lost and then later in the day, another RB ran wild, as Dalvin Cook makes a jump in the race.
1. Leonard Fournette, LSU, RB: Another week, another huge TD run. This time, Fournette burned South Carolina for an 87-yarder en route to 158 yards as he eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark in just five games. The speedy 226-pounder now has three runs for 70 yards or longer this season — and that doesn’t count another 87-yard he ripped off against Syracuse that was called back for an illegal formation flag. Overall, despite being the primary focus of defenses, he’s still averaging 8.6 yards per carry.
2. Trevone Boykin, TCU, RB: The Horned Frogs’ dual-threat QB bailed out TCU on the road after being way down at K-State, throwing for 301 yards and running for 124 to again lead a team that has now scored over 50 in its last five games.
3. Dalvin Cook, FSU: He’s my big gainer of the day. Cook gashed arch-rival Miami for 222 yards on the ground and another 47 as a receiver and scored three TDs to boot. The sophomore from Miami is carrying the Noles offense and keeping them in Playoff consideration.
4. Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, DE: The Aggies had a bye week, so Garrett’s numbers stay at 7.5 sacks, 9.5 TFLs and three forced fumbles for the most improved defense in the country. Big week coming up for Garrett and A&M with ‘Bama set to visit College Station.
5. Seth Russell, Baylor, QB: The pilot of an offense that is now averaging a ridiculous 64.2 ppg. While Jared Goff and Cody Kessler had up-and-down games, Russell threw for three TDs and ran for a fourth in a 66-7 romp at Kansas for the nation’s No. 1 offense. On the season, Russell has thrown for 22 TDs and run for four more in five games. He’ll get a better shot at moving up this list as the Bears schedule gets tougher soon.
Bruce Feldman is a senior college football reporter and columnist for FOXSports.com and FS1. He is also a New York Times best-selling author. His new book, "The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks," came out in October 2014. Follow him on Twitter @BruceFeldmanCFB and Facebook.