Georgia Southern 41, S. Carolina St. 16

Georgia Southern lost starting quarterback Jaybo Shaw to injury

in the first quarter, but it didn’t matter as the Eagles routed

South Carolina State 41-16 Saturday in a first-round Football

Championship Subdivision game.

Georgia Southern (8-4) ran for 323 yards on 77 carries against a

defense that had been giving up only 70.4 yards per game on the

ground, best in the FCS. The Eagles, who kept possession for 41:40,

will play at No. 2 seed William & Mary on Dec. 4.

At times, the Bulldogs (9-3), who lost in the first round for

the third straight year, were their own worst enemy. The Eagles

scored two safeties off mishandled kickoffs and returned a fumble

for a touchdown.

The Eagles were leading 9-0 with 6:10 left in the first quarter

when Shaw left the game with an apparent concussion. He watched the

rest of the game from the sidelines with his pads removed.

Georgia Southern coach Jeff Monken said after the game he hadn’t

talked to the medical staff about Shaw’s status.

Jerick McKinnon replaced Shaw, and after a shaky start he

settled down to guide the Eagles to 22 second-half points.

Freshman fullback Robert Brown led Georgia Southern with 77

yards rushing on 15 carries. Brown, however, also had three fumbles

and was replaced in the fourth quarter by seldom-used senior Lee

Banks, who rushed eight times for 56 yards.

Georgia Southern led 16-0 after the first quarter thanks to a

5-yard run by J.J. Wilcox, a safety and a 34-yard run with a fumble

by Josh Gebhardt.

Wilcox, a wide receiver, had 50 yards rushing and he also had a

1-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Third-team quarterback

Russell DeMasi, playing in his first game of the season, made it

41-10 with 6 minutes to play on a 1-yard run.

Georgia Southern made it 19-0 on a 32-yard field goal by Adrian

Mora 3 minutes into the second quarter.

The Bulldogs got a 90-yard kickoff return by Lennel Elmore and a

21-yard field goal by Blake Erickson to make it 19-10 at the half.

Their only offensive score came on a 58-yard pass from Malcolm Long

to Elmore with 5:21 left in the game.