CFB AM: Florida’s freshman phenom QB amazes with catch mid-backflip
If Will Muschamp’s ideal plan unfolds as he’d like this fall, Will Grier won’t take one meaningful snap for the Florida Gators.
Not because Grier isn’t talented or is a liability – he’s an exceptional quarterback prospect who enrolled early at Florida, competed in spring practice and figures to know the way to Florida’s bright future.
It’s just that, ideally, Jeff Driskel stays healthy and adopts new offensive coordinator Kurt Roper’s system seamlessly and the Gators score many, many points without issue.
That would be the best version of Florida’s 2014 season.
So in the meantime, how can Grier continue to excite Florida fans about his potential?
By doing insane, superhuman things like catching footballs midway through a backflip that he began flat-footed.
Here’s the video for you non-believers:
The crazy part? On Grier’s Instagram post, the blurb is, “Messing around after a workout with my boy @thebasedone30.”
After a workout.
For those keeping score: This is much more impressive than the stunt the well-known QB over at Florida State pulled off earlier this spring.
THREE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
1. It’s Day 2 of Big Ten Media Days in Chicago, where various players will speak at a luncheon, after which we will be done with media days season and ever so close to actual football. Here are the players scheduled to be in Chicago if interested.
3. Last week, Oklahoma freshman running back Joe Mixon was accused of punching a woman in the face and breaking four bones. No arrests were made, and Norman police were conducting an investigation. On Monday, Mixon’s attorney, Kevin Finlay, released this statement:
THREE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1. Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon chimed in on the “tumultuous” future of the NCAA.
2. The Texas A&M jersey Johnny Manziel allegedly wore during the home games of his 2012 season, in which he won the Heisman Trophy, has been obtained by an auction house that estimates it will fetch more than $100,000. Whoever drops that much cash on a jersey has too much cash.
3. Texas landed a big WR recruit from Florida, as Charlie Strong continues to work his Sunshine State pipeline. This might be some of the best news of all for the Longhorns, as they never recruited Florida under Mack Brown (yes, they didn’t need to, given how much talent Texas produces). But if Strong gets rolling and can pluck elite talent from two of the three-most fertile recruiting states in the country – with Florida being in the thick of SEC country no less – then the recruiting battles with Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin will get fun in a hurry.
THREE THINGS YOU MAY WANT TO KNOW
1. Watch Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris go insane at the white board. Pretty funny.
2. Here’s a video of Big 12 coaches reading mean tweets. I don’t know why, but Dana Holgorsen saying, “I got a great girl in Morgantown who cuts my hair,” cracked me up.
* How to make a 2014 preseason top 25, by Spencer Hall.
* I don’t even know what to say about Texas kicker Nick Rose’s team photo except, “Doesn’t Charlie Strong have a rule against egregious infractions like this?”
Have a good Tuesday, all.
Teddy Mitrosilis is an editor and writer for FOXSports.com. Follow him on Twitter @TMitrosilis and email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Texas K Nick Rose with a strong early lead on best headshot, 2014: pic.twitter.com/ejqREl23pn
— Paul Myerberg (@PaulMyerberg) July 29, 2014