Buckeyes Embarrass Huskers, 62-3

The collective sighs of relief from Ohio Stadium could be heard from all over the state of Ohio on Saturday night. The much maligned Ohio State offense finally found the breakout performance they were in desperate need of, and it came in the form of a 62-3 rout of a top ten Nebraska team.

In what was easily their most complete performance of the season, Ohio State sent a message to the entire country that, while they are still a work in progress, the Buckeyes are capable of playing with anyone in the country.

The Buckeye offense finished with 590 total yards, but it was the defense that set the tone right out of the gate.

Three plays into Nebraska’s opening drive, Tommy Armstrong was picked off by Damon Webb. Webb raced 36 yards to the end zone, giving Ohio State a 7-0 less than two minutes into the game.

The Huskers answered with a 15-play drive that was aided by a pass interference call and a fortunate stroke of luck, but the Silver Bullets turned away the Huskers three times from inside the two yard line, forcing a 20-yard field goal from Dan Brown to cut the lead to 7-3.

That would be as good as it got for Nebraska on this night.

Barrett and the offense took over with great field position, thanks to Paris Campbell’s 39-yard kick return out to the 43 yard line.

The Buckeyes cashed in 10 plays later on a seven yard pass from Barrett to Terry McLaurin, giving

them a 14-3 lead and officially starting the onslaught.

A 23-yard touchdown run by Mike Weber and a 28-yard field goal by Tyler Durbin pushed the lead up to 24-3 with eight minutes left in the first half.

Any questions about whether Nebraska would be able to get themselves back into the game were erased in a scary moment on the field. Armstrong was knocked unconscious after bouncing his head off the ground following a scramble towards Ohio State’s sideline.

He would be carted off the field and eventually taken out of Ohio Stadium in an ambulance. Armstrong would return to the stadium in the second half in street clothes, but seemingly ok, all things considered.

Without their leader and best playmaker on the field, Nebraska was punchless for the remainder of the game.

A 15-play drive engineered by Barrett right before half time was capped off with a one yard touchdown pass to Curtis Samuel, sending the Buckeyes into the locker room with a 31-3 lead.

The good times continued to roll after the break.

Ohio State needed only one play on the opening drive of the second half to continue adding to the scoreboard. Barrett found Samuel for 75 yards, putting Ohio State up 38-3.

Not to be outdone, the Silver Bullets found the end zone one more time. Malik Hooker picked off backup quarterback Ryker Frye, and returned it 48 yards to the house.

With the lead up to 55-3, Urban Meyer was able to clear the benches. Backups were all over the field for the entire fourth quarter.

Barrett finished with 290 yards passing on 26 of 38 passing, including four touchdowns; he played only three quarters.

The Silver Bullets held Nebraska to 204 yards of total offense, and outscored the Huskers 14-3.

It is hard for one game to erase a month of mediocrity, but a 59-point beatdown of a top ten team doesn’t hurt. The question of whether or not they can keep the momentum rolling in the next two weeks, in environments that won’t be nearly as charged up as the Horseshoe was tonight, still remains.

For now, it appears that the Buckeyes have regained their swagger.

This article originally appeared on