– Michigan State has been trending in a big way for Fort Wayne (Ind.) Wayne defensive end Auston Robertson. The Spartans are now widely considered the favorite in that race. The question there is, how much will his decision affect 7-on-7 teammate and close friend Austin Mack, who is believed to be strongly leaning towards Ohio State.
– Purdue is the latest offer for Hamilton (Ind.) Southeastern’s Collin Miller as he continues to rack up interest and offers. Indiana recently became his first Big Ten offer and Illinois followed.
Article continues below ...
– Wisconsin extended an offer to Columbus (Ohio) St. Francis De Sales cornerbackAustin Andrews, who is one of the hotter prospects in the Midwest. The million dollar question is, will Ohio State extend an offer? That possibility is becoming more likely. Andrews still may have to camp to earn a Buckeye opportunity, but he the run of offers should not stop before then.
– We are also hearing Detroit (Mich.) King cornerback Dontre Boyd may be nearing a decision. Cincinnati, Iowa, and Illinois have offered among others.
– Edina (Minn.) offensive tackle Tommy Doyle picked up his first offer from Eastern Michigan on Saturday, then went to Iowa State on Sunday and measured in at a true 6-foot-7. Exclusively a defensive player as a junior, he has great potential as an offensive tackle and should continue to draw interest in that spot.
– Louisville picked up a commitment from Farmington (Mich.) linebacker David Reese. He is a hard-hitting, powerful backer who has been extremely productive in his high school career. He has worked hard to improve in space and in coverage and that could be seen both during the season and at off-season events. Still, his forte is coming straight ahead and stuffing the run, which he does with authority.
– Western Michigan continues to grab commitments, adding Detroit Catholic Central’s Tom Kowalkoski, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound offensive lineman. A tough, strong kid with good footwork, Kowalkoski has the versatility to play inside or outside at the next level.
Sleeper of the Week
Vandalia-Butler (Ohio) linebacker Nic Martin is beginning to make some noise. A tough, physical 6-foot-2, 225-pound kid, Martin just visited Purdue and Indiana. Some schools have talked to him about playing rush end and others, h-back, but there is little doubt a kid who plays as hard as he does and likes contact as much as he does will find a home.
Underclassman of the Week
Madison (Wisc.) West sophomore wide receiver Terrell Carey (6-0, 190) is one to watch. He shows great hands and ability to go get the ball on film and was an All-Conference selection last season.