Xavier 94, Wofford 90

Jamel McLean had a tip-in in the closing seconds of the first

overtime Saturday night, and Xavier got a review go its way in the

closing seconds of the second extra period before pulling out a

94-90, three-overtime victory over Wofford.

Terrell ”Tu” Holloway scored 28 points, including a driving

bank shot that put Xavier ahead 92-90 with 9.7 seconds left in the

final overtime. Wofford’s Noah Dahlman missed a jumper with 3

seconds to go, and Mark Lyons made two free throws to finish it


Xavier (5-1) has gone overtime twice this season to extend its

home-court winning streak to 27 games, third-longest in the nation.

It was Xavier’s first triple overtime game since a 90-86 loss at

Massachusetts on Jan. 8, 2005.

McLean had a career-high 22 points and 12 rebounds. Kenny Frease

had a career-high 18 rebounds and 12 points before fouling out in

the third overtime. Mark Lyons added a career-high 25 points.

Wofford (2-5) has gone overtime in each of its last three games,

losing two of them. Dahlman led the Terriers with 33 points.

It appeared the Terriers were going to pull it out after Dahlman

– the Southern Conference’s player of the year – led a second-half

comeback. He had seven in an 11-2 run that put Wofford up 58-50

with 4:24 to go.

The drama was just starting.

Holloway made eight consecutive free throws, driving inside to

force fouls. Holloway, one of the nation’s top free-throw shooters,

finished 14 of 15 from the line. He missed a long 3 at the end of

regulation, sending it into overtime tied at 62.

Wofford seemed to have it in hand, going ahead 75-72 on

Dahlman’s basket with 3 seconds left in the first overtime.

Xavier’s Dante Jackson was fouled with 2.2 seconds to go, made the

first free throw and purposely missed the second, which took a high

carom. McLean was in the scrum, reaching for the ball, when it got

tipped in, tying it at 75.

Wofford had another chance to finish it off in the second

overtime. Cameron Rundles made a baseline jumper, getting the shot

off as the buzzer sounded. The officials waved it off after

watching the replay, sending it to a third overtime tied at 84.