A way-too-early poll for the 2019-20 college hoops season
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Virginia pulled off one of the great redemption stories in NCAA Tournament history, winning its first national title a year after losing to a No. 16 seed in the first round.
The bad news: it’s seven months until the next season.
The confetti is still being swept up in Minnesota, but it’s never too early to start looking ahead for college basketball fans.
OK, maybe it is a little too early, but we’re going to do it anyway.
A look at a way-too-early poll for the 2019-20 season:
3. Kentucky. Another year, another big roster turnover. Then again, Coach John Calipari has another stellar recruiting class coming in.
11. Ohio State. The starting backcourt graduates, but there are plenty of good young players to step up.
14. Arizona. Sean Miller regained his recruiting prowess with another stellar group coming in, though the federal investigation still hangs over the program.
17. Florida State. Mfiondu Kabengele and a pair of top recruits should help make up for the losses of five seniors.
18. North Carolina. The Tar Heels will have a massive roster turnover, but Ol’ Roy should have high-quality replacements for them.
23. Saint Mary’s. The Gaels get nearly everyone back from their tournament team.
24. Iowa. This could be Fran McCaffrey’s best team in Iowa City.
- Arizona State Sun Devils
- Auburn Tigers
- Duke Blue Devils
- Gonzaga Bulldogs
- LSU Tigers
- Marquette Golden Eagles
- Michigan Wolverines
- Oregon Ducks
- Purdue Boilermakers
- Seton Hall Pirates
- Tennessee Volunteers
- Texas Tech Red Raiders
- Virginia Cavaliers