No. 17 UConn beats Notre Dame 67-53

Notre Dame needed to hit more shots in the second half to keep

pace with No. 17 Connecticut on Saturday to extend a 29-game home

winning streak.

The Irish had no luck, losing 67-53 after holding a one-point

halftime lead.

”Second half, we got looks but they were kind of hurried and

they were hurried because of Connecticut’s length,” Notre Dame

coach Mike Brey said.

The Irish (11-7, 3-2 Big East) made just 12 of 36 shots in the

second half, including going 1 of 15 from 3-point range after

making five 3s in the first half.

The Huskies (14-3, 4-2) finished with a 43-33 rebound advantage,

including grabbing 14 off the offensive glass which they turned

into 16 points.

”Their size beat us up on the backboard at times,” Brey said.

”They were hard to keep off the board. We were trying. We kept

fighting. Not today.”

Brey was philosophical about the end of the streak.

”It was a pretty good run,” he said. ”Amazing when you think

about it. I’m really proud of our overall body of work at home. So,

you get a chance to start another streak.”

Shabazz Napier had 16 points and freshman Andre Drummond had 10

points and 13 rebounds as Connecticut was able to come together for

a big win even in the midst of more off-the-court controversy.

On Friday night, Connecticut decided freshman guard Ryan

Boatright would be held out while the NCAA investigates eligibility

matters that predate his enrollment at the school.

”I called him out of the meal and I told him,” said Huskies

coach Jim Calhoun, who missed the first three Big East games this

season over an NCAA suspension. ”He was in my arms and talking

about the 300 people who were coming to the game to watch him play.

But I will tell you that nothing is going to injure or hurt Ryan

Boatright. I have nothing to say about it. I feel about it, but I

have nothing to say.”

The team dedicated the game to Boatright, who is from nearby

Aurora, Ill., according to teammates Roscoe Smith and Napier.

Boatright, a speedy 6-foot guard who has averaged more than 10

points and three assists in 10 games, was suspended for the first

six games of the season for an infraction that involved accepting a

plane ticket last year while he was playing AAU basketball.

The school, in a statement, said the latest development ”arises

from additional information provided by the NCAA that pertains to

conditions and events that predate the university’s relationship

with Boatright.”

Calhoun emphasized that the Boatright controversy was beyond the

control of his team and they would deal with it as a team.

”We were energized, tonight,” said Calhoun, who was suspended

for failure to create an atmosphere of compliance within his

program. ”We had a pretty emotional talk. But it is about us. It

is not about anyone but us and we can’t control the world but we

can control what we do. Tonight we stayed with things and the

biggest thing in life is just staying with things.”

Alex Oriakhi added 12 points for the Huskies.

Eric Atkins scored 20 points for Notre Dame, who led 25-24 at

halftime as Atkins went 3 of 4 from beyond the arc.

Calhoun said his team talked at halftime about defending the

3-pointer better.

”We got over those and we made sure the third guy in line

rotated,” he said. ”We did a good job of not letting that man be

free. So the third guy in line got in there. He just can’t come out

late. We talked a little bit about that at halftime and our guys

seemed to respond really well.”

The Huskies shot 56 percent in the second half.

Connecticut used an 18-8 run over the first 10 minutes of the

second half to take a 42-33 lead. The Irish scored five straight

points, but UConn answered with a 12-2 run that made it 54-40 with

3:41 left.

The Huskies made 15 free throws compared to five for the


Brey said UConn’s defense was the key.

”It was hard for us to anything offensively against their

defense,” he said. ”First half, we had some open stuff – some

layups, free throws right before half. Second half, we got looks

but they were kind of hurried and they were hurried because of

Connecticut’s length. Their size beat us up on the backboard at

times. They were hard to keep off the board. We were trying. We

kept fighting. Not today.”

Atkins had 13 points in the first half when both teams shot

below 40 percent. But Notre Dame made five 3-pointers while

Connecticut didn’t make any shots from behind the arc.

Notre Dame led by five points with 3:26 to go in the first half.

UConn went on a 6-0 run but Atkins scored to give the Irish the

halftime lead although the Huskies missed three shots in a closing